Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

curious educator
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knobren
User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, Dolly. Since I teach college level intro biology, at this point, I would be better prepared to try something for high school biology first. I'm less certain of the topics and at what level middle school kids are taught.

By the way, your son might like the Microbe Zoo at http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/dlc-me/zoo/
knobren
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided to post my Powerpoint lectures to my introductory biology course website. If you want to follow along with us, go to http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~bdknotts/BIO1001powerpointlectures.mht

I need to reorganize my website some time. In order to get to the syllabus, study guides, etc., you currently have to go to http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~bdknotts, select "BIO 1001G, section 12" and so forth. I haven't organized my files or added navigation bars.

If there is interest, I will consider posting my exams and answer keys in a hidden directory, so my students don't see it. It would, of course, be free.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knobren wrote:
I have decided to post my Powerpoint lectures to my introductory biology course website. If you want to follow along with us, go to http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~bdknotts/BIO1001powerpointlectures.mht

I need to reorganize my website some time. In order to get to the syllabus, study guides, etc., you currently have to go to http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~bdknotts, select "BIO 1001G, section 12" and so forth. I haven't organized my files or added navigation bars.

If there is interest, I will consider posting my exams and answer keys in a hidden directory, so my students don't see it. It would, of course, be free.

That's cool but neither of those links work for me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the links, but the Powerpoint lectures page doesn't seem to work. The text says that I need a browser that supports Web Archive files.

Is there any way to just upload your lectures as .ppt files and then link to them?
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be but I'm not the sort of person to know these things.

Who does?

*waits*
knobren
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
I fixed the links, but the Powerpoint lectures page doesn't seem to work. The text says that I need a browser that supports Web Archive files.

Is there any way to just upload your lectures as .ppt files and then link to them?

A webpage has to be written in html to load correctly, so Powerpoint slides have to be converted into html to work correctly. Another way that I have seen people post them is by converting them to Adobe files, but I don't have the software to do that.

This is the first time that I have tried to post Powerpoints online. When converting, I tried to choose the option of saving it in a format that would be supported by older Internet Explorer browsers and also Netscape. I don't know if Firefox will work or not. I am using Internet Explorer 4 and I noticed that I had to allow Active X controls in order to load the Powerpoints. I had to resave the files a couple of times, due to naming issues. Perhaps I didn't reselect the option to support older browsers.

What browser are you using?

By the way, to see the slides fullscreen, hit the "Slideshow" button on the bottom right hand corner of the screen on the first slide. You can advance to the next slide by clicking on the left mouse button. If you want to go backwards, click the right mouse button and select "previous".
Theodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using Firefox (version 1, not 2) for the Mac. If you just posted your lectures as Powerpoint files, I could download them and view them.
knobren
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am using Internet Explorer 6, not 4. Also, I guess I only needed to use Active X controls when I was previewing the converted files, because I don't seem to be getting that message now.
knobren
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
I'm using Firefox (version 1, not 2) for the Mac. If you just posted your lectures as Powerpoint files, I could download them and view them.

I've been at work for more than 11 hours today. I'll look at it again tomorrow.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site looks most excellent to me! Thanks for posting it!

I'll look forward to when the power points are also viewable!
knobren
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory wrote:
The site looks most excellent to me! Thanks for posting it!

I'll look forward to when the power points are also viewable!

Thanks. So you still can't see the Powerpoints through your web browser?
knobren
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:

I'm sure you wouldn't like them...I weave evolution throughout the course. Smile
knobren
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:

I can't make the files available for download. They contain illustrations from the textbook that I can't pass on to others. I think I'm allowed to post my lectures online for my class to view, since we use that textbook.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I can't see the power points yet. Let me check again. Nope, I get all kinds of funky formatted computer language.

*head spins*
knobren
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StellarStory wrote:
No, I can't see the power points yet. Let me check again. Nope, I get all kinds of funky formatted computer language.

*head spins*

What browser are you using? I'm wondering which browsers don't work properly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Science All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: