Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gardening

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Gardening Reply with quote

I am happy to see the bulbs I planted in the fall are coming up. I just hope my kids don't annihilate the flowers with their hockey sticks and balls. Has anyone made plans for vegetable, herb, or flower gardens, large, small, or in containers this season? What works well for you? Do your children have a "hand" in it? Or do you enjoy the garden to be by yourself for awhile?
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: growing things Reply with quote

I have three young boys, 8,6 and 1. We always start our garden sin the early spring in the house. Thay pick what flowers and veggies they want to grow and then we talk about how to plant them. Whether we start them inside or out, and what they need to grow. they usually have their own sections of the garden. They love the pumpkins and squash plants because they get so big! We also grow flowers for our local flower show. It has categories for the children to compete in and they love it. Boys love to play in the dirt! I let them have their garden and then they leave my stuff alone, unless they decide to help weed! Very Happy
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Theodore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: I remember having a lot of fun gardening... Reply with quote

I remember having a lot of fun planting peas and corn and tomatoes when I was younger. I rigged up a sort of trellis out of sticks and string for the peas to climb on (this helped keep them off the ground and allowed them to grow a lot thicker), and experimented with compost and other fertilizers (turns out that burying a fish with your corn DOES work).
Tabz
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a wildflower garden and a tomato garden - it was soooo much fun. It's the one thing I miss living in Chicago - no room for a garden!
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: container gardening Reply with quote

If you have a balcony or small porch maybe you could think about a wildflower garden in a container or two. Try patio tomatoes, herbs, lettuce and other veggies in containers. I saw a picture of a hanging pot stuffed with lettuce. There are many different styles for different needs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: