Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So when I graduate..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LasPlagas
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: So when I graduate.. Reply with quote

I won't be getting a diploma. Instead to enroll in a college I have to take some of their tests, or a standardized test somewhere and give them the results? Or am I missing something. These are some good things to know since this is going to be my junior year.
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: So when I graduate.. Reply with quote

Whether you have transcripts from an accredited high school or not, most U.S. colleges also ask for the SAT or the ACT. Some accept which ever one you want of those two. Some have their own test you can take as an option instead of one of the standardized tests.

Ask at any college you're interested in applying to what their policy is for admitting homeschooled students.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colleges will require either the SAT or the ACT or both (usually just one), as well as either a portfolio of work or nationally standardized test scores showing you covered your high school graduation / college prereqs properly. Since putting together a portfolio of work is a pain, and requires more work from the college (making it harder for them to rank you higher than other applicants), it's generally better to test out of as many subjects as possible. I took AP or CLEP for virtually everything.

Another option is community college courses. I recommend this for anything involving lab, since it's easier and probably cheaper to pay $300 for the course and not have to worry about buying all sorts of equipment.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know stuff there Theodore, thanks.

I need to finish getting my oldest lined out through high school now. Smile
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My kids will be getting a diploma from our cover school. It's accredited but I'm not sure how much that is really worth.

My daughter took the ACT in tenth grade and did quite well. We get letters from colleges every week inviting her to come visit and so on.

She's taking the test again because she knows she can do better particularly with some calculus under her belt.

My son will also take the ACT in tenth grade. I think it's good practice for them.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theodore wrote:
Colleges will require either the SAT or the ACT or both (usually just one)

Front Range Community College in Ft. Collins, Colorado, does not require either SAT or ACT. They have their own entrance test you can take instead if you'd prefer. It's similar to those.

I suspect there are other colleges in the US that do not require the "big two."

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Community colleges aren't 4-year colleges.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they aren't. But they are colleges--post-12th-grade education. They are within the scope of what the OP was asking about, IMHO.

Not everyone goes to community college during the high-school years. Many people go to community college for a couple of years first and then transfer to a 4-year college or university.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't colleges usually start contacting you when you're a junior? That's just after you take your PSAT, if I remember correctly.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's assuming you take the PSAT, which my kids have not. I haven't heard of too many homeschoolers who do, in fact.

Oh, and how does when they start contacting you relate to any of the above? Sorry, I don't seem to be following your train of thought, Theodore.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If colleges contact you when you're a junior, and he's a junior, then it's probable he's asking about 4-year colleges, which require SAT or ACT for entrance Smile

We all took the PSAT, it's a good way to get colleges to mail you their literature, and to compare how well you're doing on math / verbal vs public / private school kids. It's not necessary if you're taking the SAT or ACT, however.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, if colleges contact you after you take the PSAT sometime during your junior year (mine wasn't until February), and s/he will be a junior starting next month, then s/he probably hasn't yet been contacted by any colleges.

I think s/he was just asking about "college" as a vague, general concept, meaning "whatever comes next after one finishes 12th grade."

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, no point quibbling over semantics Smile
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't quibbling. I think it's important that this forum let people know all their options, or at least as many as people here are aware of. It seemed to me that you were saying that it's absolutely necessary to take either the SAT or the ACT in order to go on to further education after 12th grade. I don't think that's true.

I would be surprised if there isn't at least one 4-year college somewhere in the US that doesn't require either one of them, and there are many community colleges, academies, institutes, tech schools, trade schools, small, independent programs and other institutions and methods of higher learning that a homeschooled student can look into continuing his education with.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant no point in me quibbling over semantics. Yes, you could be correct, but I don't see the advantage in not taking the ACT or SAT even so. It doesn't take long, it's a good way to figure out how well you're doing, and you may decide to do a 4-year college (or even Master's) later on and need it. If you don't need it, you're not out much in terms of time and money, and if you do need it, you'll have it. Always be prepared and you'll never be disappointed Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> High School / College Prep All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: