hardest/easiest states

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

*Angie*
User

Postby *Angie* » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:57 pm

I'm in New Brunswick, Canada. All that's required here is filling out an "intent to homeschool" and submitting to the school district. No testing, reporting, record keeping, etc is required. The government is pretty homeschool friendly, in that we're allowed to borrow a local public school's textbooks for a year, can choose to have our kids included in the provincial exams, and have access to standardized testing if we want it. The downside to homeschooling here, is that it's not a very popular option, so finding real-life support is difficult.
Angie
Married to my best friend, Jeff
Blessed mom to Josh & Asher

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:36 pm

CoconutCookie
User

Postby CoconutCookie » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:33 pm

I live in Pa, and though we have more requirements than others, it's not intolerable (though I would LOVE for the state legislature to finally pass the "evaluation" only law -- in which we'd only have to submit the evaluator's letter to the district at the end of the year), but it is a bit of a pain the the behind at times.

Some districts try to require more than the law requires, which is a huge problem for some, but I am lucky that our district follows the law so I have had no hassles :)

I would love to live in one of the less rigid states, or to have Pa adopt some of the less strict policies.

Maybe someday :) (someday soon would be perfect, lol)

isamama
User

Postby isamama » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:16 am

MT is easy; all that is expected is to notify then keep attendance, which doesn't have to be turned in. I learned this after I had been turning mine in.

NH, unless the law has changed since 95/96, requires either testing or evaluation by a certified teacher. I used a recommended hs friendly certified teacher and it was like having a friend over for a visit.

WY, from what I've read only requires that you submit a curriculum plan. It doesn't need to be fancy just a list of textbooks or scope and sequence.
I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. - Woodrow Wilson.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:47 pm

The easiest US state is Alaska. According to the hslda website they have 5 options but if you choose to simply homeschool then they don't require anything. No notification or record keeping, nothing at all. If it just wasn't so darn cold there. :D

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:55 pm

hmschooling
User

Postby hmschooling » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:04 pm

riccalo
User

Postby riccalo » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:58 pm

Michigan is an extremely home school friendly state and you have two options to choose from.

If you choose option 1 you (the parent or guardian) are only required by the state to teach children between the ages of 6 and 16 the following subjects; Reading, Spelling, Mathematics, Science, History, Civics, Literature, Writing, and English Grammar. There are no requirements to notify the state or school, seek approval, test, file forms, or have any certain teacher qualifications. There are no specific number of school days or hours mandated.

Option 2 is a bit strict. To operate a home school as a nonpublic school you need to adhere to the following. Subjects taught must be "comparable to those taught in the public schools". Have teacher certification (unless claiming a religious exemption. Submit notice, to the department of education and the local superintendent, at start of each school year a statement of enrollment. Maintain records of enrollment, courses of study, and qualifications of teachers (must be submitted to the Department of Education upon request). There are no requirements to test and no specific number of school days or hours mandated.

Here is a link to a more detailed analysis from the HSLDA website. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Michigan.pdf

-Erica

ArkansasHomeschooler
User

Postby ArkansasHomeschooler » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:41 pm

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:21 am

lisalinnay
User

Postby lisalinnay » Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:07 pm

Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
and I will walk in your truth. . .

Academic Software and LeapFrog Toys at Discount prices
http://voisales.com

ArkansasHomeschooler
User

Postby ArkansasHomeschooler » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:02 pm

lisalinnay
User

Postby lisalinnay » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:06 pm

Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
and I will walk in your truth. . .

Academic Software and LeapFrog Toys at Discount prices

http://voisales.com

JerbysMom
User

Indiana Homeschool law

Postby JerbysMom » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm

I have to say Indiana has the easiest homeschool laws. All you do is let the DOE know that you're homeschooling by filling out an online form (name, address, phone number, that's IT). They assign you a number, and designate you as a "private school". You're supposed to keep track of attendance (180 days) just in case the state or local superintentdent asks for it, which probably won't happen. Other than that you're completely on your own. Homeschool kids are actually FORBIDDEN from taking state standardized tests.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:19 am

Did you inform the DOE as a courtesy? I'm in Indiana and I haven't seen anything that requires that.

Return to “Homeschool Law”