I'm Going to Homeschool...

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mbrannon
User

I'm Going to Homeschool...

Postby mbrannon » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:27 pm

It's known by many in my area that I have an ability to teach very well and I am very thankful for that. I am going to be in college next year but I'm taking a light load of courses. A parent of a friend would love for me to homeschool her high school (11th grade) child in the afternoons. A combination of individual work supervised by her mother in the morning and lessons and discussions in the eveny by me would be optimal.

How do we get started? I have no trouble with whipping up cirricula, I just need to know how this system works. We live in Florida. Is there a type of "standardized" test? Does each course have a test you are supposed to pass? How do we "register" to be homeschooled?

Thank you--this forum seems very helpful and kind.

-McGuire

Theodore

Re: I'm Going to Homeschool...

Postby Theodore » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:45 am

Well, homeschooling your own child(ren) isn't too difficult. Just mail in a notice of intent, keep a portfolio of work, and submit an annual evaluation. Or you can enroll in an umbrella school to reduce the amount of paperwork:

http://www.fpea.com/Guide/index/css/Guide_3.html

Parents may choose to register their children in a non-public school (parochial, religious, denominational or nontraditional private). These schools are responsible for keeping attendance records and "enrollment registers."

However...

If someone else becomes a child’s primary instructor, whether in the home or not, and if the instruction takes place daily and consistently, then the instructor must hold a valid Florida teaching certificate in the subjects and grades being taught.

You're fine if the child is 16 years or older - the legal requirements no longer apply - but otherwise you'll have to make sure that you remain a secondary instructor, so you aren't required to have a teaching certificate.

Return to “Getting Started”