Digital Recorders and Handwriting

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Regina Hogsten

Digital Recorders and Handwriting

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:01 am

My 13 year old has juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and schleroderma. The schleroderma has damaged his right arm including hand and fingers. He just can't master writing with his left hand. The writing with the right hand is slow, laborious, and sloppy. He does not take notes of any signifigance in his co-op classes. I bought him a digital recorder last year, but I was wondering if there isn't something else that would be better. He can save the file from the recorder and play it on his computer. But, I would like him to type it all out to have the written information. His typing is great with left hand and slow with the right cause the fingers are bent. Any suggestions?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:22 pm

Does he have something he can type on in his co-op classes, like a laptop?

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:51 am

He has a laptop he can take to class. This past school year when he was 12, he felt self conscience about taking the laptop and even "discreetly" handed the recorder to his teacher. Sometimes he would "forget" it. He wants to look normal.
At home, when he writes a story, a paper, or plays a game on the laptop, he can take his time. Sometimes he wants to dictate and I'll do the typing. His typing speed is not so slow.

If he would use the laptop in class to take notes, he would get better at taking the notes he really needs to remember and understand the material. We can practice note-taking on laptop at home- I'll dictate and he can type. Along with a digital recorder that would be enough. I'm just always looking for a better way. Maybe, I mean an easier way.

It is tough for any adolescent facing various health issues. He will learn that there is a plan for his life. There are a few things he would like to do, but is not able. But, that is the same with healthy functioning people. Sometimes our talents are revealed and developed out of our circumstances. Anyway, he'll need to take his laptop and use it in class.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:56 pm

Last edited by Theodore on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:26 pm

Dolly-VA
User

Postby Dolly-VA » Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:53 pm

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”