Newbie in a quandry

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Veronica
User

Newbie in a quandry

Postby Veronica » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:48 am

Hey all! I'm glad to have found this forum! I HSed my dd for K last year with Sonlight and was planning to enroll her in ps this year for 1st grade. Now I'm seriously considering HSing again. My parents and husband are against hsing again. My dh doesn't have much faith that I'll be able to teach her all that she needs to know and my mom is convinced that I'm screwing up her education. The clincher is we are currently living with my parents until we can find a home here in GA (we moved here last week) and school starts in 2 weeks and the school is one mile from here. I have no doubt that if I decide to hs again this year, dh will support me in front of my parents but he's made his concerns known and would rather have her in ps. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I'm a little concerned that we'll have to move her to another ps if we move into a different area if we enroll her now.
I'm definitely planning on hsing my ds in prek this year. I'm really stuck here. I can't imagine myself hsing through high school so part of me is like, just enroll her and she'll be fine. The other part of me is saying that having her home is better and having the chance to hs is a real blessing that I shouldn't pass up. Either way, I have to decide soon. Help! I've already got all the materials figured out for hsing and also gotten all her requirements to enroll in ps so I could easily go either way! Any advice is appreciated.

Theodore

Re: Newbie in a quandry

Postby Theodore » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:59 am

Homeschooling her through grade school doesn't necessarily mean you can't enroll her in high school afterwards. There are also a number of other available options, such as homeschool co-ops, online schools, community college courses, etc. Don't base your decision on whether to homeschool or not on how competent you feel to teach high school-level material.

Of more import are:
- How well do you think the last year of homeschooling went?
- How good / safe is the school near you? (if possible, get feedback from other parents whose children are / have been enrolled)

I would personally opt for homeschooling at least through the first few grades, since a proper basing in reading, writing, and math is what decides how well your daughter learns later on. Of course, I may be biased in favor of homeschooling :)

Linda
User

Postby Linda » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:38 pm

Hi Veroncia,

I vote in favor of home schooling. We didn't start until my daughter was in the 2nd grade and my biggest regret is that I didn't home school from the beginning. I think that as long as you feel the desire to keep her home then you should do it. And if there is a possibility of having to switch schools why put her through that? At least wait until you know for sure what school district you will be living in. She will be fine at home for another year and with Sonlight Curriculum she will be ahead of her peers!

acheshire
User

Postby acheshire » Sun Aug 06, 2006 5:18 pm

I was home-schooled via correspondence courses from Calvert, and I did extremely well in that and I was homeschooled for 3 years of high school and started college head and shoulders over kids who had been at the top of their classes. I did my high schooling through University of Nebraska-Lincoln. It's worth it.

If you are concerned about your child getting the education you want them to have, then home schooling is the way to go. Public schools are falling apart and the class can only go as fast as the slowest kid...which means everyone is the slowest kid, and that is stunningly unfair.

Check out Calvert. They handle grades K thru 8. And your child can work at the pace that is really right for them. One of the girls in my church is going to be 12 this fall, and she is starting the 9th grade already. She did k thru 8 with calvert and was able to work at her own pace. considering that she is starting high school 2 years early and she is not a "brainiac" or a genius. She is actually very typical n everyway. She is just allowed to work in an environment that doesn't say "you are only allowed to go this fast, and no faster".

Return to “Getting Started”