single mom

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Are you a single parent homeschooling child/ren?

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 14

ms.s.williams
User

single mom

Postby ms.s.williams » Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:30 pm

How does a single parent home school and still pay the bills?

RJ
User

Postby RJ » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:05 pm

Working full time!

ms.s.williams
User

Postby ms.s.williams » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:52 am

IF I work full time...when will I homeschool? Or, if I homeschool during the day...when will I work for full time? I've heard of single parents homeschooling their children. I know they're out there! Where are you? I need advice!

Janet Tatman
User

Postby Janet Tatman » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:29 pm

Dear Ms.S.Williams,

We have a very creative God. Here is how he helped me.
I am not a single mom, but needed a full-time income to help support our college age children. I was still homeschooling the last two children and first tried working at nights and homeschooling during the day - didn't work - not enough sleep. Second was to work a 3 - 12 job and homeschool from 7:00 - 2:00. This worked pretty good, but my children were older and responsible enough to get their assignments done after I had given them instruction in all their subject areas. Last job I had, I worked from 6:00 - 9:00 in the morning, came home and we had school, and then I went back to work again from 3:00 to 8:00 p.m. This worked the best, but my employer was a Christian and supported my homeschooling efforts.

I don't know where you are at now, but God will show you how to homeschool and still pay the bills if you ask. Let Him guide and provide. There is a way to do both, but it takes alot of sacrifice and hard work.

God bless.
Janet T.
HS MOM FOR 25 YRS
www.janetsjournal.com

Theodore

Re: single mom

Postby Theodore » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:35 pm

Homeschooling only takes an hour or two per day if you homeschool year-round. It's also relatively cheap if you buy used curriculum and supplement with library materials. So the only major concern is, who watches your children while you go to work? To get around this problem, some moms work from home instead, through telecommuting, online sales, tutoring, running a day care center, etc. You could also theoretically be a live-in cook or assistant, assuming whoever hired you didn't mind having children around the house. There are lots of options.

Return to “Getting Started”