Im new 2 HS need suggestions - 6th dyslexia & 8th

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ladycropper
User

Im new 2 HS need suggestions - 6th dyslexia & 8th

Postby ladycropper » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:24 pm

We are in Texas. First few years till 3rd grade private school moved to public last 2 years. Public school not working out. So cant afford private school and it only went to 8th grade. 9th grade we may attend HS with Early College so she only wants to be HS one year. However my 6th has slight dyslexia and barely passed Reading and math was 69. Shes so smart, however they move so quick she didn't have time to catch on. Private school teacher would spend time with her and she never failed a class. However she was exhausted every night went to bed 7pm and I didn't realize how good she was doing till moved to Public School...

I checked with my HS friends and seen some of their programs. However their children different ages and different needs.

Im interested in Christian view but not overdone...
Saxon Math & Science Dive
A beka Language, Spelling, Creative Writing
Not decided on others

I would like online but some downloading if needed. Would like some workbooks, track grading, and lesson plans prepared however option to not do some of the work if kids mastered.

Any suggestions for curriculum and websites etc... greatly appreciated
New Homeschool Family and So excited

elliemaejune
User

Re: Im new 2 HS need suggestions - 6th dyslexia & 8th

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:42 am

ladycropper wrote:We are in Texas. First few years till 3rd grade private school moved to public last 2 years. Public school not working out. So cant afford private school and it only went to 8th grade. 9th grade we may attend HS with Early College so she only wants to be HS one year. However my 6th has slight dyslexia and barely passed Reading and math was 69. Shes so smart, however they move so quick she didn't have time to catch on. Private school teacher would spend time with her and she never failed a class. However she was exhausted every night went to bed 7pm and I didn't realize how good she was doing till moved to Public School...

I checked with my HS friends and seen some of their programs. However their children different ages and different needs.

Im interested in Christian view but not overdone...
Saxon Math & Science Dive
A beka Language, Spelling, Creative Writing
Not decided on others

I would like online but some downloading if needed. Would like some workbooks, track grading, and lesson plans prepared however option to not do some of the work if kids mastered.

Any suggestions for curriculum and websites etc... greatly appreciated

Just wondering how things are going with you. :-)

I'm also in Texas. :D

I am not a fan of ABeka's English stuff--beats grammar to death every.single.year, not nearly enough writing instruction, spelling is sad. :( Many Christian homeschoolers love it, but not I.

Some on-line classes might be ok, but honestly, one of the wonderful things about homeschooling is the parent-child interaction, and you lose that when your children have their faces in screens all day. Also, I'm not sure how on-line stuff will help your younger dd and her learning difficulties.

You would want to address her reading and spelling skills, even before history or science, and my favorite for that is Spalding. It would be a complete English course for her *this year.*

Saxon is an excellent math series. You would want her to take the placement test. Using D.I.V.E. for that and science would be fine.

Y'all might like Beautiful Feet Books http://bfbooks.com/ for history.

As far as your older daughter, even if she does early college (which I think is a great idea) technically she'll still be homeschooled, because she won't be enrolled in the public high school, right? So she's homeschooled, taking Early College classes. :-) When she's ready, you will issue a high school diploma, because as silly as it seems, even though she might have all those college credits and will be able to transfer to a four-year college, some of those colleges still want a high school diploma.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Getting Started”