Is homeschooling possible when you are terrible at math?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wife&mommy
User

Is homeschooling possible when you are terrible at math?

Postby wife&mommy » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi,
My children are enrolled in public school right now, K and 3rd grade. It is a good school. I was homeschooled 5-12; my husband was public school K-12. I have a strong desire to homeschool my children; it is constantly on my mind and heavy on my heart. I thought I would let my children get a few years in public school because I thought they needed to get a feel of the classroom and see how school is not an option and that you must do your work. This may sound selfish but another reason holding me back is my own fear. I am so terrified of homeschooling them. I mostly did ACE PACE curriculum and I do not feel like it was a very effective curriculum. I did not have the best homeschooling experience. We were not involved in any co-ops, etc. and my mother (who is a great mother) did not enjoy homeschooling us. I am terrible at math; I cringe at the thought of it and no, it is not just algebra and the upper grade level math-math period. How in the world can I teach my children this very important subject that I feel like I am terrible at? Is it even possible? I do not want them having this same hate towards math. Is the answer that I cannot? Do I need to ignore this constant pull on my heart to homeschool them? Will I hinder their learning/ abilities with my lack of knowledge on this subject (and other subjects)? If I decide to homeschool next year, my youngest will be entering First grade, where I believe reading is most vital. How difficult is it to teach your child to read? I am so terrified of taking this step but at the same time, I am excited and eager to start, if that makes sense. Am I incapable of homeschooling my children? I am deeply concerned and stressed about this. I have so many other questions and concerns but for now I just need to know is there a possibility I would be capable of teaching them? Please do not be afraid of hurting my feelings, I just need the truth. Thank you

elliemaejune
User

Re: Is homeschooling possible when you are terrible at math?

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:34 am

wife&mommy wrote:Hi,
My children are enrolled in public school right now, K and 3rd grade. It is a good school. I was homeschooled 5-12; my husband was public school K-12. I have a strong desire to homeschool my children; it is constantly on my mind and heavy on my heart. I thought I would let my children get a few years in public school because I thought they needed to get a feel of the classroom and see how school is not an option and that you must do your work. This may sound selfish but another reason holding me back is my own fear. I am so terrified of homeschooling them. I mostly did ACE PACE curriculum and I do not feel like it was a very effective curriculum. I did not have the best homeschooling experience. We were not involved in any co-ops, etc. and my mother (who is a great mother) did not enjoy homeschooling us. I am terrible at math; I cringe at the thought of it and no, it is not just algebra and the upper grade level math-math period. How in the world can I teach my children this very important subject that I feel like I am terrible at? Is it even possible? I do not want them having this same hate towards math. Is the answer that I cannot? Do I need to ignore this constant pull on my heart to homeschool them? Will I hinder their learning/ abilities with my lack of knowledge on this subject (and other subjects)? If I decide to homeschool next year, my youngest will be entering First grade, where I believe reading is most vital. How difficult is it to teach your child to read? I am so terrified of taking this step but at the same time, I am excited and eager to start, if that makes sense. Am I incapable of homeschooling my children? I am deeply concerned and stressed about this. I have so many other questions and concerns but for now I just need to know is there a possibility I would be capable of teaching them? Please do not be afraid of hurting my feelings, I just need the truth. Thank you

Of course it's possible. :-)

Your children are still very young. You can learn along with them and they'll never know. :-) Or you can use something like Teaching Textbooks, which is DVD-based.

And there are many choices for teaching children to read. I'm sure you can do that, too. Explode the Code, Alpha Phonics, and Phonics Pathways are all very good and easy to use.

You can do it. :-)
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Getting Started”