New and nervous!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ShellyM72
User

New and nervous!

Postby ShellyM72 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:08 pm

Hello all! I am not brand new to homeschooling, we actually started at the end of August through Texas Connections. I really like the school, and all of the teachers have been very nice. However, it is just not for our son at all. It is a very, VERY fast paced school... and it is very hard to keep up with. Even for me, coming from the world of finance and attention to detail, there is so much. My son comes from public schools where he was bullied horribly and his confidence levels are very low. The pace is simply too much for him and we ended up being more stressed out than before. I am now adopting a curriculum more tailored to his individual needs and pace, and I'm nervous. How do we know that we are teaching them the right things? I am terrified that he will simply not be learning something that is essential.
Thank you!!
Time. It cannot be bought, and it cannot be replaced.
Shelly M.

elliemaejune
User

Re: New and nervous!

Postby elliemaejune » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:44 pm

ShellyM72 wrote:Hello all! I am not brand new to homeschooling, we actually started at the end of August through Texas Connections. I really like the school, and all of the teachers have been very nice. However, it is just not for our son at all. It is a very, VERY fast paced school... and it is very hard to keep up with. Even for me, coming from the world of finance and attention to detail, there is so much. My son comes from public schools where he was bullied horribly and his confidence levels are very low. The pace is simply too much for him and we ended up being more stressed out than before. I am now adopting a curriculum more tailored to his individual needs and pace, and I'm nervous. How do we know that we are teaching them the right things? I am terrified that he will simply not be learning something that is essential.
Thank you!!

So, are you withdrawing him from the charter school? That's the only way you can truly be in charge of the curriculum and the pace.

Texas is one of the best states for homeschooling: because of a 1994 court decision, homeschoolers are completely unregulated by the state because they are the equivalent of private schools. However, since you enrolled your son in the charter school, you have to do what the school says you have to do, because legally, your son is a public school student, not a private school student. :-)

Are you an adult person? Have you lived and worked in the adult world? then you know what your son needs to learn.

How old is your son?
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Getting Started”