transitioning from kindergarten to home school

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

bluesaddle
User

transitioning from kindergarten to home school

Postby bluesaddle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi!
My daughter is currently in kindergarten at a public school. While I am really happy with the teachers, class size, etc, I feel like she is really not being challenged in school. She is very art focused and a kinesthetic/auditory learner. I would love to homeschool her for grade 1, but right now I'm just exploring the process.

I have been researching types of homeschooling and I think we are more focused on unit studies, where she would pick a topic and then we would spend some time focusing on a lot of different 'subject' areas within that topic. She is very inquisitive, so I'd love to see her questioning the world and exploring topics she is interested in.

My husband isn't against homeschooling, but he isn't sure if grade 1 is the best time to start. I'm working on getting some more information for him. Right now she travels with him to school and he enjoys the time with her, so I can understand how he would want her to continue that.

Eventually I will need to return to my job, so it is not in the cards for me to homeschool for their whole schooling career, but I'd love to be able to do it for as long as possible. We have 3 children.

Anyways, I guess I'm just looking for advice on transitioning from kindergarten to homeschooling. She is very social and loves the students in her class, so if we go to homeschooling, it is going to be a big transition for her. She has a lot of friends/activities outside of school. It is more the transition of attending school to staying at home.

Return to “Getting Started”