Hey guys, I need a little help.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

zephyrstar
User

Hey guys, I need a little help.

Postby zephyrstar » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:00 pm

I am currently 14 and hate school. Yes, I do realize every 14 year old hates school, but I am genuinly interested in being homeschooled.

Being in eighth grade, I am surrounded by aproximently 300 other eighth graders five times a week. The thing is, I don't really have any friends or anyone to talk to. I can't talk to any of the teachers either because they simply take my feelings as regular teenage angst and throw them out the window, acting as if I'm in primary school and telling me that I need to become less shy and try to be more social. My parents are starting to think that I am developing social anxiety disorder, and perhaps they're right. I simply have no one at school. You can imagine how difficult this is for someone my age.

Seeing as I have virtually no emotional distraction, I rely on my hobbis and artistic abilities to keep me company. I have grown to love drawing, animating, music, philosphy, spanish, and japanese, and probably a handful of other things. I also want to become more knowledgeable in the fields of English, politics, and arithmetic. However, while I am exposed to this in school, I feel as if I am not being pushed to my full potential. I am stuck with a bunch of annoying kids all day trying to read text (I'm mildly dyslexic) that doesn't make sense to me. Not to mention the fact that all my teachers simple seem apathetic about teaching! It's ridiculous, and now I feel as if school is simply a waste of my time.

I have been considering homeschooling since about december, when I met an online friend who is homeschooled. Reading other posts on this website, I think I can manage to work to my full potential on not only things that are deemed necessary but also expanding my horizons on things I love.

After a few months of considering homeschooling, I consulted my mother. At first she seemed keen on the idea (we want to move to a new house in upstate new york in the near future, therefore my mom will have to get another job, her preferring a stay-at-home one), but today she started to give me a hard time about it, saying I'll miss my "friends" from school and asking me if I am serious about the whole idea. This got me angry, but I think she only needs a second opinion. And so, I am here.

Do you think my reasons are valid? What are you opinions on the quality of education you or your children get?
Becca

Theodore

Re: Hey guys, I need a little help.

Postby Theodore » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:55 pm

If you have no significant social life, and you feel the education you're getting is sub-par, then things can only improve from there. Have you looked into video / DVD materials (search for "Standard Deviants") as an alternative to textbooks? Have you checked to see if there are homeschool groups in your area offering social activites that you might like to attend? What college / major are you preparing for?

I must say, by the way, that your writing is already better than what most college students can produce.

Dragonfly
User

Postby Dragonfly » Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:47 am

Hi Zephyrstar

I would say that if you are this self-motivated already, then homeschooling would be ideal......

Perhaps your Mom is also worried that she may not have the ability to 'teach' you herself........maybe reassure her that all you need from her is to have resources and ability to research for yourself.......the Internet, the library.....the world...real life ;)

I have a 13 year old Son who is homeschooled and I have to say that I don't do any 'teaching'....I merely guide him towards where he will find answers for himself......

I also found this article below that discusses working a full time job as well as homeschooling your children....which might be of interest to your Mom too ;)

http://www.home-school.com/Articles/phs ... curry.html

Good luck with everything!

zephyrstar
User

Postby zephyrstar » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:49 pm

Good grief I am a lazy replier.

Theodore: Thanks for all of that information! And thank you for hte compliment as well. You have no idea how many times teachers have accused me of plagerizing, and people on other forums thinking I'm some fourty year old guy instead of a 14 year old girl. Haha.

Dragonfly: I really hope my mom is just having insecurties like you said instead of just not wanting to pursue with it. Thanks for the article; I'll be sure to it to my stubborn mother. :wink:
Becca

Return to “Getting Started”