homeschool with a month left

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

shalo1
User

homeschool with a month left

Postby shalo1 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:34 am

hi everyone! im a 16yr old who wants to be homeschooled! I have this thing wrong with my stomach and the dr. dont kno what it is! they have tryed everything! anyways its makin me miss days of school. It makes me really dread school, my stomach even starts to hurt when i think about school! i really like school though, the people, the teachers. Its fun when im not having issues with it! So the next resort i think is homeschool but both my parents work and we have bout a month left of school! i dont know what to do! i cant keep goin to school with my stomach stuff going on. can i drop out of school for the rest of the yr or can i just pick up where i left off and got the rest of the school yr with homeschool?

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:43 am

Which state are you in? The rules are different for different areas.

I'm sorry about your stomach - that sounds like a real mess to go through.

shalo1
User

Postby shalo1 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:59 am

oh yeah i forgot to mention i live in fl

Theodore

Legal requirements for homeschooling in Florida:

Postby Theodore » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:40 pm

From http://www.fpea.com/Guide/index/css/Guide_3.html:

Essentially, six stipulations must be followed to comply with the law as a home educator:

1. Send a notice of intent to your district school superintendent.
2. Maintain a portfolio of records.
3. Make your portfolio available for inspection by the superintendent upon 15 days' written notice.
4. Submit an annual evaluation for each child to the superintendent.
5. Preserve your child's portfolio for two years.
6. Submit a letter of termination upon completion of your home-education program, upon enrollment in a public or private school, or upon moving from the county.

From http://www.fpea.com/Guide/index/css/Guide_4.html:

Your written notice of intent must include each of the following:

1. Name of each child (6-16 years old).
2. Birthdate of each child named.
3. Address.
4. A parent's signature.

The notice must be filed in your district school superintendent's office within 30 days of beginning your home-education program.

So you can start homeschooling at any time - you just need to file a letter of intent within 30 days with your name, birthdate, address, and a parent's signature.

alisarussell
User

Postby alisarussell » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:56 pm

Have you ever been tested to ulcerative colitis or Crohn's Disease? My husband had Crohn's Disease. It took him 5 years from the time he first had symptoms to get a correct diagnosis.

shalo1
User

Postby shalo1 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:13 am

thanks everybody! um for a while i was doin fine i thought i could make it the rest of the year without homeschool maybe the next two years too. but now recently my stomachs been giving me promblems. today i had to go home early because of it. my teachers are evening giving me a hard time about missing so much school. i think if i miss anymore school then i will get my creidts taken away. so can i just withdrawal from school right now??? and how do i pick up where i left off? i also talked to my mom kinda about it. i brought it up and said it would be kinda fun. shes like no you will miss all your friends and not be social. she said i would have no friends. i dont even know how to tell her. can i just withdraw my self sence im 16 now? i dont know i need help everyone!! oh yeah what were your husbands symptoms??

Theodore

Re: homeschool with a month left

Postby Theodore » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:55 pm

Hmm, I looked up some other sources and found this quote:
"attained the age of 6 years by February 1 . . . but have not attained the age of 16 years"

So you apparently only have to fulfill the legal requirements until you turn 16. You can leave any time.

And yes, the school won't give you credit for any courses you leave in the middle - but you can finish the study at home, keep a portfolio of work, and award yourself a grade based on how well you did at school + how well you think you did at home. You can also take nationally standardized tests - AP, CLEP, DANTES - to prove competency, which is probably a better option for at least the important core courses, since colleges prefer test scores.

easyhomeschooling
User

hey

Postby easyhomeschooling » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:05 pm

Guess what? When I was in kindergarten I started having stomach problems. :roll: I hated school, always did, which is one reason I homeschooled my own. When there is worry of any sort about school, these things can happen. I think homeschooling is a great idea for you and you are definitely able to "homeschool yourself." Even the planning and organizing will be a great learning opportunity for you. Just need to find some easy to follow resources and guides on planning. I will be offering an eclass soon on planning. My books also tell how.
Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

alisarussell
User

Symptoms

Postby alisarussell » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:02 pm

My husband's symptoms were: abdominal pain, joint pain, and frequent trips to the bathroom which included passing of blood. I hope this helps you.

shalo1
User

Postby shalo1 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:41 pm

Theodore

Costs for high school homeschool are:

Postby Theodore » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:39 pm

You can download syllabuses online for free, that's no problem.

Textbooks may be expensive - you'll want to buy editions that are used and at least 5 years old. Ebay is a good place to hunt for bargains, or you can visit book sales at the homeschool groups in your area, or use library materials if you live close to a library. You should expect to pay a few hundred dollars per year for textbooks when nearing the end of high school.

And you'll want to take standardized tests after completing your coursework. You'd probably be doing this even if you stayed in public school, but it's worth mentioning anyway because it will be one of your largest costs. All exams cost you ~$15 paid to your local testing center, plus the exam fee of $82 per AP exam, $55 per CLEP exam, or $60 per DSST (DANTES) exam. Of the three, I'd recommend CLEP whenever possible, since it's done on computer now and you don't have to mess around with filling in the little ovals or writing your answers by hand.

If you or your parents can't handle a certain subject, there will be course fees from wherever you decide to take the course. Homeschool co-ops are relatively inexpensive, as are online courses, and there's always the local community college. If you're going with an online course, I recommend SOLA for their excellent level of teacher interaction (they hold regular IRC chat sessions for each course).

Bottom line, you can afford to cover this all yourself, even if your job is nothing more than flipping burgers at the local McDonald's.

shalo1
User

Postby shalo1 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:45 pm

thanks! i have no idea of how to get them to let me do it still. im getting a job as a hostess and i found a place where i think its free its flvs.net. i dont know if i can do that like full time or not? i think all i have to do is notify the school district and let them know and the online school that im homeschooled officialy and ill be good oh god i dont know

alisarussell
User

Thought you might like this

Postby alisarussell » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:16 pm

Saw your last post and thought you might like this. This is the link for the Irritable Bowel Syndrome website. http://www.ibsgroup.org/ It has blogs on it with people's experiences. I don't know if your doctor has said this to you, but avoidance of stress is very important in managing this disease. It is also important with Crohn's Disease, and my husband had to deal with that when he was still suffering from the disease. We will keep you in our prayers.

shalo1
User

Postby shalo1 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:33 pm

aww thanks thats sooo nice um yeah i dont have the symptoms your husbands has. like it only happens with school its so weird. like i show horses and on a show day i might have to go to the bathroom but once i get to the grounds im good. i dont know what it is but i soo fed up with it! im just gunna have to tell my mom she better let me get hs or i dont know but i cant do it anymore. haha and i can improve on my horse skills cuz my trainer can pick me up and take me out there ever day. homeschooling has so many advantages!!!!

Theodore

You can start homeschooling now, no legal reqs over 16:

Postby Theodore » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:29 pm

If it only happens at school, then it's almost certainly stress-related, and not necessarily a medical condition at all (yet). For now, just stay away from liquid milk products and orange juice or anything similarly acidic. The best thing to do, however, is to start homeschooling as soon as possible - and since you're 16, you can start immediately without having to officially notify anyone.

Return to “Getting Started”