What State/City do you think would suite us? Your advice?
Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:28 am
Good afternoon all. Me and my family are relocating for the purpose of home schooling our children. I have done endless research and have ideas. However, I thought it would be good to list some of our details, and see if you have any suggestions. We have 2 more years until our first born will be required by police force, to attend public school. We currently live in NYS. We were told home schooling is easy here. According to my research, this is the WORST State! So here we go.
1. Location does not matter at this point for us. I'm not close to my family, and my wife is from Cambodia. Any State would work, so long as it's one of the totally free States. Such as Texas, Idaho, Indiana, Illinois, Oklahoma, Missouri, etc.
2. We live on $600 a month. Would need a place where we can rent, and take care of 6 people on that.
3. My disability prevents me from working most jobs. So I cannot work. My wife does not speak English, and has never worked before. We cannot afford $2,000 a month in daycare, obviously. Also, working and daycare would pretty much defeat the whole home schooling plan.
4. I am a socialist, spending most of my life in socialist-based nations. I'm not taking anyone's taxes, but my own. I served my nation for 8 years, and payed taxes my whole life. This $600 a month is the LEAST my government can do for me. I am big about being entitled to my entitlements.
5. We do not drive, cannot, nor could afford to. So we would need a place with public transportation, or close distance to a Wal*Mart and the doctor's maybe.
6. We are rather conservative and moral people, but not religious by any means.
7. We obviously abhor crime. NY is loaded with crime and ghettos. Since employment is not really an issue, we could live in a quieter area with less work, as opposed to a city with high crime like here. We would prefer an area with few or no blacks.
8. We don't like Mexicans. My wife worked REALLY hard to get a visa to America. Even as the wife of an American, she could not just come over. She needed to pass extensive tests for medicals, criminal history, schooling, language, financial, etc. She also had to pay LOTS of money in fees to the USCIS. In light of that, the Mexican situation is absolutely appalling to us, and an insult to her green card.
9. Not sure if it needs to e mentioned, but we also hate homosexuals and lesbians. Trans-gendered and the like.
10. If we had any preference at all, we love lots of public parks, maybe a river walk, and a walk-able downtown area.
Sorry if this is long. Don't mind us being bigots. We are proud of that. Bigotry is a blessing many countries still practice that the USA should as well. You really can't tolerate EVERYONE and EVERYTHING can you? If you are not a bigot, well then you need to accept that it's OK that we are, right? Isn't that part of tolerance? We don't care what people do, we just don't want it around our kids.
Anyhow....any suggestions? Thank you all dearly for your advice!
Posted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:54 pm
Ok... Assuming this isn't a troll, you want to (a) not live in or near any major city, (b) not live along the southern border. And you want to live somewhere conservative.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_state ... lue_states
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographi ... ted_States
Texas is out for obvious reasons. So is anywhere in the northeast, probably. I'm assuming you'd prefer to live in the states, not Alaska. That leaves Idaho, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan. Using the Wikipedia info on voting statistics, Idaho and Oklahoma look like your best bets. Both vote heavily Republican and have Republican governors. Idaho has a lot more whites (over 4/5 of the population) and isn't as prone to massive amounts of tornados. Cost of living is more or less the same. If I were you, I'd pick Idaho. Beyond that, it's up to you to do the research.
By the way, it sounds like you shouldn't be trying to avoid certain racial demographics, you should be trying to avoid liberals. Conservative, educated blacks, hispanics, etc. are no different from conservative, educated whites. Two of my siblings are married to blacks and we really like both of them. I'm tired of division on skin color.
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:46 pm
You might want to rephrase "I hate mexicans" to I hate the way we tolerate illegal immigration.Unless its the nationality you actually hate.Not all Mexicans are illegals and many come here legally.
That being said, Kansas is a good state to homeschool.. Some of the smaller towns are pretty cheap to live in rent wise too. Not the bigger cities but the small ones.
Seriously 600 a month is not much but you could move to one of those socialist countries and homeschool your kids there.Im sure they love homeschoolers..I think Sweden is one of them.
Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:20 pm
You might consider Tennessee. No state taxes and the cost of living is very reasonable. We've homeschooled there quite successfully. Plenty of nice scenery too.