Considering Homeschooling...help!

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

elenacavender
User

Considering Homeschooling...help!

Postby elenacavender » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 am

I am the mother of 5 boys. My oldest, 9, is having trouble in school. We just moved to South Carolina and his class is very far ahead of where he was in Michigan. He is having a lot of break downs and hates going to school. I am considering homeschooling just to get him out of that environment. The teacher gives him a silent lunch if I am forgetful and don't sign his planner. I don't know where to start. Do I have to join a state association to home school? What are the cheapest but best options? How do I go about getting him enrolled in homeschooling for next year? Do I have to pay a fee to the state for home schooling? Any help anyone can give would be great. I have been looking around online and found quite a few online places, but it does get confusing. Thank you!

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:06 pm

No, you do not need to pay a fee to the state for homeschooling. In the state of South Carolina, you have 3 legal options to choose from. Here is a link to read about it:

http://www.schomeeducatorsassociation.o ... bility.php

Many families choose option #3, which is joining an accountability group. You can look at the list and compare the services they offer. Then decide which group is best for you. In the past, I was a member of the group called Palmetto State Association of Homeschools and I was pleased with it. Keep in mind that if you choose option #3, you are not required to administer yearly achievement tests.

elenacavender
User

Postby elenacavender » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Thank you very much!

Return to “Getting Started”