Overwhelmed, don't know where to begin.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

somo_chickenlady
User

Overwhelmed, don't know where to begin.

Postby somo_chickenlady » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:58 pm

My husband and I moved to this area from a different state 18 months ago along with our 13 year old DS. When we were considering this area we researched the school (rural in SW Missouri) and it seemed great. We have since learned that it is not. They buy their students off with candy and soda if they get good enough grades. They are also given extra days off of school if their test scores are high enough. They got extra points on their grade if they showed up on Halloween with a mask. If they attend enough days in the year, they don't have to take finals at the end of the year. That is just the surface issues that I have a major issue with.

The school that DS went to at our old home was one of the best in the city we lived in, and he was ahead of the rest of his class when we moved here. Now, he is falling behind. He is drastically behind in spelling, as in, can barely spell on more than a 3-4 grade level (his reading level is on cue, thankfully) b/c he came from a school that doesn't teach spelling in elementary school. His school has never mentioned it to me as a problem and I didn't find out until this summer when he showed me a story he was writing. I think the biggest issue is that most of the children that attend that school do not go on to college, so the school does the very minimum in order to get funding. We WANT and expect our son to go to college, and we don't feel that he will have that opportunity if he continues to go to that school.

Anyway, my husband is looking for a new job out of state. He had one lined up and we were supposed to be moved before their school started for the year. Well, we found out today that it fell through. I REALLY do not want DS to go back to that school, so we are seriously considering homeschooling him.

My concerns are how hard it is to do, especially since I am jumping in at the 8th grade level rather than starting from the beginning. I have NO clue what I need to teach him, or where to find it. I don't know what he has already learned, and I don't want to waste my time teaching him something he has already learned. Another big issue is price of the materials and curriculum. We can't afford a lot. I'm the type of person that needs something that says "Teach him this, say this, do this, this, and this..." but from what I've heard, most of those programs are expensive. I'm NOT good at just winging it...but maybe after time I will get used to it. *shrug*

We do still plan to move, but it will be a while. We have some things here that we need to wrap up before we can move again. Depending on how it goes, we may put him back in public school once we move if it is a good school. If things go well, and I like homeschooling him, I may continue to do it. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it. I'm worried about the here and now.

I've been trying to search and look up about homeschooling, but it is all so confusing and overwhelming. :( Any advice and suggestions for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Kara - Mom to Greyson (13)

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Return to “Getting Started”