Pulled out this week

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

5_2luv
User

Pulled out this week

Postby 5_2luv » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:28 pm

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:46 pm

5_2luv
User

Postby 5_2luv » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:20 pm

5_2luv
User

Postby 5_2luv » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 am

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

5_2luv
User

Postby 5_2luv » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:30 pm

It has been a few weeks since I pulled him out & things are going great. I'm getting a little more organized with making a curriculum for him & while it's been a bit time consuming getting started (for me) I am really enjoying it & I can see a big improvement in my son's happiness. He really enjoys having me to himself for a while each day.

The school gave me more trouble than I anticipated. The principal called me & said I never gave him a definitive answer about what I was doing & that I would have to follow a procedure to withdraw my son officially. I had already planned on bringing them an official letter that week. He asked that I come in & talk with him & my son's teacher. I know I didn't have to but I did. I came armed with my official withdraw letter. They both wanted to know what my reason's were & I explained again to them & told them that there were other factors as well. The principal tried telling me that there were laws about pulling out mid year & if I didn't go to the Regional Office of Education & fill out paper work & tell them I was pulling him out then he would be truant & not able to move on to another grade. I really almost laughed out loud at him because he has no idea at all about homeschooling laws in Illinois. I informed him about the laws & he told me not to believe everything I read. Excuse me? I shouldn't even believe the law? In Illinois schooling is not even required until age 7 and my child is only 6. Also, there are no forms that I have to fill out or anyone I must notify. He either is completely ignorant or trying to intimidate me. They also tried to tell me that just like you wouldn't try to fix a broken arm at home I shouldn't be trying to homeschool my child because I am not a professional. Such BS. I just told them that I was better qualified because I know my child better than they do & I have his well being at heart. I told them I was informed of the laws & suggested he do the same. I told them I would not be going to the ROE because there was no reason to & not required by law. They then tried to tell me that the homeschooling kids he's had enroll in school were desocialized and isolated. I just smiled at them & told them I knew what I was doing. My son is socialized just fine thank you.
His teacher tried telling me again that his behavior was normal & that he would never be able to learn how to control himself if I had him at home. She absolutely has no clue. She attributed his behavior to immaturity (maybe but I wonder if she even knows that kids have different learning styles?) My son, I have learned is a kinestetic learner & he needs to move a lot throughout the day & doesn't do well sitting for long periods. Also, I have to wonder why if his behavior was normal to her then why was she punishing my son for being normal? She would give him lunch detention or miss recess on a regular basis for his "inability to pay attention" or "not sitting still". She would send home notes all the time & for awhile I almost thought I had a mis-behaved child. Now I know what the truths are.

Anyways, thanks for letting me vent. I was just very aggravated and wanted to get that off of my chest. :)

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks for checking in and letting us know how it went. :D

You should know that it can take up to 18 months for a child to recover his real self after being in school for even a short time. Don't worry too much about being all organized as far as teaching and whatnot. It will be fine. :D

I think you handled things well. Just don't ever, ever go back for another meeting. Talking with those people is like wrestling with a pig: the pig likes it and you get dirty. You will never change their minds--it is not in their best interest for people to teach their own children at home, you know--so just stay out of the pig pen. :lol:
Servant of 1 kitteh

stephybee
User

Postby stephybee » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:00 pm

I have been searching for information on homeschooling for months now and when i ran into this forum and your post, i wanted to cry. I am going through the exact same thing with my 6 yr old son. Tomorrow he goes back to school and has been begging not to go back. He does not like it at all. He likes playing with his friends but thats about it. I met with his teacher and asst. principal and they both suggested to get him tested for a gifted class. With that said, they would not give him the test. Instead they said to wait it out til he gets to first grade. I want to cry with him in the mornings when we leave for school. I want him to finish kinder then he is out of public school but is it worth it? No. :/ I am so glad you shared your story. I feel better knowing that im not "crazy and making something out of nothing". I cant make my mind up between waiting or pulling him out of school now. Help! :/

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:26 am

Since your son is so miserable, my advice would be to pull him out now. Just check your state laws (link below) to see what you need to do. It is no big deal to pull him out in April. He does not need to finish the year, just for the sake of finishing it.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/

He can finish kindergarten at home with you. Think of all the fun the two of you can have together. He will be so happy. If he is gifted, homeschooling is an excellent choice because you can do so, so much more with him than a public school will ever be able to do. I will list some sites below for gifted homeschooling. Follow your heart and pull him out now. You will not regret it. Best wishes.

http://www.movingbeyondthepage.com/

http://hoagiesgifted.org/

http://www.brightkidsathome.com/

http://giftedhomeschoolers.org/

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:13 am

Servant of 1 kitteh

Iluvchocolate