confused mom

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

4meattama
User

confused mom

Postby 4meattama » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:15 pm

I am a confused mom to where to start. I am trying to get started on homeschooling my daughter for the remainder of her 8th grade year. I was told I needed to submit a letter to the school she is leaving so I am not turned over to juvenile services. To what is this letter to say? I'm lost. :?

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:56 am

First, read your the homeschool law for your state and make sure you meet all the legal requirements. Don't just go by what someone else tells you but make sure you understand everything yourself. Go to this link:

http://www.hslda.org/laws/

If you need a sample letter to follow, type in "sample notice of withdrawal letter homeschooling _________". Fill in the name of your state in the blank. The search results should have a good sample letter that you could use as a guide.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:56 am

ITA with hscoach. You need to know the homeschool law in your state before you do anything.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

4meattama
User

Postby 4meattama » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:37 pm

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:28 am

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:06 am

What you have been told might mean simply that you need to officially withdraw your dc from school, as opposed to her just not showing up one day. It is, in fact, usually recommended that parents do so.

For you, it has nothing to do with complying with the homeschool law in your state. It is a valid expectation for the school to have some sort of record that a child has been withdrawn.

You could do this: Put it in writing: "Dear [principal's name], I am withdrawing Orkie from your school, effective January 31, 2012. Please forward copies of her cumlatives to our home address [include address]. Thank you for your time." Send it to the school office registered, return receipt. That way you have proof that the school received it.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Return to “Getting Started”