High school student wants to be home schooled.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jocelynnnnn
User

High school student wants to be home schooled.

Postby jocelynnnnn » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:10 pm

I've wanted to be homeschooled since I started freshman year last year. High school just isn't my thing. It stresses me out a lot, and I have a lot of medical issues so my attendance is horrible, which makes my grades drop. Also, I'm bad at making student-teacher connections, so I'm often confused about what homework there is and what the tests are like, and so on. I've told my mom this several times, and she says that she can't homeschool me because it's too expensive, and she doesn't have time because of work. I feel like going to public school is killing my grades, and that's just going to reflect on college. I'm much better at learning on my own, anyway. Is there any way to homeschool inexpensively? Also, I've heard that some high school students don't actually need a teacher in order to be homeschool, somebody just has to be able to grade their papers. Is that true? I live in New Jersey, and I really just don't know how to convince my mom into letting me.

six
User

Postby six » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:33 am

Go to http://www.hslda.org/and learn the law for your state. Home education does NOT have to be expensive. use the library,book swap.and shareware software.
Many learn better outside a classroom. You may need a yearly evaluation but start at HSDLA
Go for it!

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:58 am

Homeschooling can be very inexpensive if you use free educational online resources and your local library. You may need to buy a few books or computer programs since you are in high school, but it will be no more money than your mom is already spending on school lunches, clothes, school supplies, and fundraisers at your public school.

When you are in high school, you should be working independently on your school work. This will help you prepare for being on your own in college. But your mom could help you when you have questions. She can help you decide what classes to take, what your daily assignments will be, etc. and she can grade your work - if she is willing.

It looks like homeschooling in New Jersey is not complicated. Here is a link that should be helpful. Look on the left side and click on "legal" for your laws. Best wishes!

http://jerseyhomeschool.net/

Return to “Getting Started”