Thinking about homeschooling again...

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Thinking about homeschooling again...

Postby kkapfe » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:10 am

We homeschooled until last year when we sent our 3 dds to a private Christian School. When we sent our girls to school last year, I went to work part-time. We just recently went through a job transition where my husband now works out of our home office but took a slight pay cut. We have been back and forth (about 100 times!) about bringing them back home this year.

The clincher is that I would be keeping my part time job. I would be working M-F from 8-noon and attempting to do schoolwork in the afternoon. Since my husband is working from home, the girls wouldn't be left unsupervised but he would NOT be available to help with schoolwork. His job is pretty demanding. I just want him there as an adult in case of emergency. I want all the responsibility of the education process to fall on me.

I have researched and decided that we want to use Bob Jones Online video if we make the plunge to homeschool. Normally, I pull all of my own resources and create my own lesson plans and such. However, with my work schedule, I want to use something that was already prepared for me and the fact that BJ even teaches the lessons is a huge help to me.

My question is this...what are some schedule suggestions for our daily routine? Should I try to have my 2 older ones (6th grade and 4th grade) attempt working a bit before I get home? In theory, is it reasonable to assume that we could work from 1-5:30ish and be done for the day? I know I would have to sit with my 2nd grader pretty much the entire time of her schoolwork.

Thanks!

hscoach
User

Postby hscoach » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Yes, I think you should try to have your 4th and 6th graders do as much of their work as possible before you get home. They should be learning to become independent - especially your 6th grader. If they have questions, they could hold those and get your help later. I think it definitely should work to do school from 1 to 5:30. It sounds like a good plan. :D

wraycroft
User

Re: Thinking about homeschooling again...

Postby wraycroft » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Return to “Getting Started”