Summer Homeschool

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

twbp
User

Summer Homeschool

Postby twbp » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:35 pm

Im Kristin and I live in southern California, I've been going to a charter school since the 8th grade and I went back to public school for 9th grade but it was so out of control I hated it, so we went back to this Charter school. Im in 10th now.. well this past year my grandma has been really sick and this charter school is very demanding about not missing the Tuesday classes they have, well they told me you only had to go on Testing days and it is hard for my mom to drive 45 miles to the city to take me to school every tuesday but it's very helpful.. anyway they told me that it was only on testing days and they'd give you enough homework for the month well in some of my classes they were giving out weekly assignments and quizzes and I got behind. and then my grandma got sick and we'd been taking care of her she passed away last month, she had been bedridden since Thanksgiving. Im still desperately trying to get caught up and im not that far behind... but yesterday my resource teacher says i'll be lucky if i pass highschool in four to 7 years.. it was very discouraging... I was wondering if there were any Summer Homeschool programs that I could do to get caught up or even ahead in English and Math and some other subjects.. the charter school suggested since they dont offer summer school to go to the public highschool and Say we pay taxes and to let me summerschool there but I seriously can't stand to be in that school and I dont want to waste my summer stuck in school... Is there any homeschool programs for summer school?

Theodore

Re: Summer Homeschool

Postby Theodore » Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:39 pm

Most correspondence and online schools work year-round and let you choose what month to start your semester in. However, none of them offer nearly the level of teacher interaction that a regular school can, and they basically just add structure and testing to your self-study.

For instance, Apex Learning offers decent online courses.

Another option is to attend co-op classes offered by a local homeschool support group. These are generally inexpensive, and hopefully a lot closer than the charter school. Check and see what's offered in your area.

A third option is to study using video and DVD aids. This is often easier than trying to study with a textbook, and cheaper than online / distance learning courses, especially if you just rent your materials rather than buying them.

For instance, Family Pass lets you rent educational materials for a low monthly fee.

Or you can study using textbooks. You can borrow these from your school or buy used copies, or if that doesn't work (or if you don't like what your school has to offer), you can buy some homeschool curriculum. If you run into a concept you don't understand, just use a search engine, or if your mom is available, ask her for help. If possible, use syllabuses from your school so you can make sure to cover the required material, or download syllabuses online from various high schools / colleges.

If you have more specific questions after reading this, let me know.

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:38 pm

I'd suggest taking MINDsprinting's free assesment test for math - and maybe their online program can work for you. http://www.mindsprinting.com

The nice thing about it is that it's worksheet based - and you enter your answers online. It doesn't really follow grade - it adapts to where you're at and keeps teaching you the specific area until you master it. As I'm sure you know, if you don't master one concept - you'll get really behind in the rest.

Return to “Getting Started”