How much time...

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ATL Mom
User

How much time...

Postby ATL Mom » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:35 pm

I failed to include this in my other post.

I am also wondering how much time I should plan to spend on a given topic when I begin the actual HS program.

For example, if my topic is farm animals, how much time should I schedule for covering farm animals and their habitats and other information. I know this will depend heavily on how quickly the child catches on to the information, but I will need a starting point or guideline. I'm just not sure how to determine how long a subject might take to cover.
If you had it to do all over again, would you?

Theodore

Try a week per topic, at least for now:

Postby Theodore » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:06 am

How many topics will you be covering per year? Are you working year-round or following a semester system? How much detail do you want to go into on each topic? I'd personally schedule a week per, at least for now, since you can't go into much depth in one or two days, and a week is a good unit of time to work from, both for record-keeping purposes and to give a feeling of regularity to your child's schedule.

This is, of course, a largely arbitrary amount of time, but it's hard to go into specifics without more information :) I'm sure once you get started, the proper amount of time to spend on each topic will become fairly obvious. Just wing it for the first few and see how it goes.

ATL Mom
User

Postby ATL Mom » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:11 am

Thank you for your reply.

I will be operating on a year round basis.

For my teenager, I will be covering 5 subjects daily and other extra subjects like cooking, budgeting, etc on a once weekly type basis.

For my 2 yr old, I will be covering probably just one or two topics per weeks. Perhaps one number and one letter to focus on each week. At least until she gets older. For her, it will be mostly just exposure to routine and "school".
If you had it to do all over again, would you?

Return to “Getting Started”