Will they cooperate???

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Biscuit Fan
User

Will they cooperate???

Postby Biscuit Fan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:48 am

seekingmyLord
User

Re: Will they cooperate???

Postby seekingmyLord » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:10 am

You have my vote! :wink: But I am biased.

My child has never been to school so I have not experienced that transition, but most of the reports I have heard, particularly when the children want to be homeschooled, is that it is not as difficult as one might think. It is good to give them some time, a break, between pulling them out and starting full throttle on home lessons. Typically, it is a more relaxed setting, since you can go their pace instead of trying to keep up with the class or being bored to tears waiting for the class. Since they want to be homeschooled, they know the option of not being cooperative is going back to school, which they must not like much so I think you have the advantage here. However, I strongly believe it is better--SO much better--if both parents are in agreement on the idea.

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:53 am

This is our first year, my dd was in public K last year and my husbands biggest concern was "could I handle it" based on the after school issues in the house last year. Honestly she (and her little brother) have been better behaved than ever. We hit bumps where she doesn't want to work as I am sure most children do at some point or another, but we get through it with "well we will just sit here until your ready" or "you decide how long we work, if you keep up with the fit (or whatever) its only going to take longer". I don't really know anything about "deschooling" though I have seen it recommended before, we didn't have a need to go that rout so I cant be of help there. I think the key would be letting them be involved in at least some parts of the curriculum they will use at home. I also do the "worst" subjects first and the more fun ones at the end of our school day.

Biscuit Fan
User

Postby Biscuit Fan » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:11 am

Thank you both for your encouragement.

And yes, you are right, I won't do it unless my husband agrees. I will need his support.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:00 pm

From my experiences there is a huge difference between helping with homework and being the teacher. I had my kids in PS and had a horrible problem with my son not wanting to listen to me when it came to help with his homework. He always said, "but the teacher doesn't want it that way" or "that's not how we did it at school". Things of that nature. I pulled both of them out and they have been so much happier. They get done earlier, we can break if frustration starts setting in, and they work at their pace. Mine work on two different levels too. I have on that is gifted and one that is average. It has made life less stressful for everyone involved!

If your kids are showing a positive interest and you have your husbands support then I would go for it. The worse that will happen is that it won't work and where ever you move to next you will have to go back to using the PS. The first year is always the hardest though so don't give up right away it takes time for everyone to adjust.

frogguruami
User

Re: Will they cooperate???

Postby frogguruami » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:43 pm

AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

Lilac
User

Postby Lilac » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:16 pm

As a child who grew up in a military family, I would recommend homeschooling as a way to bridge the gaps that occur if your children frequently switch schools, due to your family being stationed in different areas of the country. We moved every four years-sometimes every two. It did a terrible number on my education! I missed some important subjects-such as geography and state history. The worst was math. Math is best understood if taught in a system in which one part builds on another.With each move, the math curriculum changed for me, and I was ALWAYS missing some important step. It was frustrating! I never actually learned algebra until I was in college and worked my way up from general math to algebra there.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:51 pm

If they have sufficent motivation I believe they will listen to you just fine.

This was on of my main concerns and the reason we did a "trial" home schooling period the last six weeks of their school year before deciding where they would school the following year.

If they are asking to be home schooled they are likely already pretty motivated.

As long as they feel they are getting the benefits of the new situation and that they outweigh the old, things will probably go pretty well.

In school they teach competition and down talking, picking at people. Once your kids are out of that environment and YOU make it clear what behavior you expect you will be amazed at how well you all get along!

The only problems I've seen with kids that don't mind are those that don't want to home school, those who parents are far too nice, not enforcing reward and consequences and those who parents do school at home in a very rigorous, high pressure way on the parent and child.

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:29 pm

milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

Return to “Getting Started”