Homeschooling with toddlers around

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Markw
User

Homeschooling with toddlers around

Postby Markw » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:47 pm

I'm trying to get my wife geared up for homeschooling and one of the issues we will be having is how to deal with a 2year old boy while she is trying to homeschool a 6 year old girl. Seems like our boy takes up all her energy and focus. He wants to get into everything. How do others deal with this? My wants to homeschool, but I don't see how she is going to do this with our 2yo son. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mark

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:05 pm

I used to babysit a 2 yr old while homeschooling my kids. I let her color and things of that nature. She could run around or watch a video. As long as she wasn't playing with something dangerous I just let her play. Also it only takes about 2 hrs for me to work with my daughter (she was 6 when we started) the rest of the time is independent work. So could your wife do lessons while your son is napping? By the time the end of the school year came the little girl I babysat liked to color at the table while we did school, she was even starting to do some learning.

Ramona
User

Re: Homeschooling with toddlers around

Postby Ramona » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:19 pm

I've nearly always had a toddler around during homeschooling for the past 13 years. (Not the same toddler!) We usually include the little one in anything at all that works, like songs, prayers, flag salute, me reading aloud, Phys Ed, field trips, etc. For hard academics, we try to do that when the little one is having a nap after lunch or while Dad or someone else is around to take the little one during the lesson.

In desperate moments we fasten the little one into the stroller or playpen or high chair or swing for a few minutes so I can explain something to the older one, then I ask the older one to take a half hour or so and do her best on the written work while I tend to the toddler, and then the older one is free to play. Later on, when I get a chance, I will go over the written work. I explain another day anything that was missed.

(Sometimes on really good days, the two of them play together happily without getting in trouble long enough for me to review the written work right away!)

We also had a certain amount of success with having Daddy do some academic "homework" with the older child in the evening.

Ramona

Markw
User

Postby Markw » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:36 pm

When our daughter was 2 yo she would have been happy to play while others are homeschooled, but our 2 yo son is totally different. He is so high maintainence. It seems like every day he trying to get into the emergency room because he wants to get into everything. My wife is exhausted and she hasn't even started homeschooling our daughter yet.

sevenkidsisgreat
User

Postby sevenkidsisgreat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:06 pm

Mark:

Like Ramona, I have had a toddler around for all of my 14 years of homeschooling (one of which IS the same one!!!!) and I think some of the best advice I was ever given were 2 things.
1. Afternoon nap for the toddler even if he doesn't sleep. Books in
bed. If he is old enough, set a timer and when it goes off he can get
up. Do phonics, reading, math during this time.
2. Get a large tote and put puzzles, art supplies, and other toys (like
measuring cups etc.. for water play) that are ONLY used for school
time. This way the little one thinks that this is a special time.

It is a tough place to be with a toddler and a 6 year old so really encourage your wife to do what she can and not feel bad if everything doesn't get done. Some years are more productive than others and that is OK. You have alot of years to catch up on anything that you wish you could have gotten to but your 2 year old is only 2 for a short time.

Best of luck,

Cheryl

Markw
User

Postby Markw » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:19 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:05 am

Melody,

I'm right there with you. I've nursed 4 different babies while homeschooling older kids, and it's not easy but I did it because I felt it was worthwhile. When I got to the point that I was ready to wean, I was able to do it with all but one. She was a bigger struggle. But with all of them, I couldn't make weaning happen until I was truly ready for it deep in my heart and mind.

I was so sleep-deprived with DC#3 that my eyelid would blink uncontrollably all the time. I decided I must enforce night-time weaning with her. I used a method I'd been taught by a lactation consultant before I had my first baby. I don't know if I'd be able to make myself do it for anything less than such severe sleep deprivation. It might seem too "tough" otherwise.

With #4 I was blessed to be able to sleep through her night nursings. With #5 and #6 I learned that it's actually a myth in our society that we need 8 hours of unbroken sleep. The body really only needs about 2 1/2 hours of sleep in a row per day, as long as it gets 8 hours total, counting all catnaps and different segments of sleep during the night and everything else.

How does your 6-y-o DD behave while you and DS are asleep? If she doesn't destroy the house or hurt herself or wander away, then you're set.

As far as homeschooling around nursing, I usually do them both at the same time. There are occasions when I put the toddler in some safe place for a few minutes to get through a tough struggle with a subject that is challenging my school-age child. There are other occasions when I declare playtime for an hour or two and let schoolwork go until later so I can take care of a wiggly or demanding nursling.

For us, it's a matter of going with the flow, adapting from day to day, and continuing to put one foot in front of the other.

Best,
Ramona

Markw
User

Postby Markw » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:57 pm

Hi Ramona,
Thanks for your response. My 5yr old is wonderful. She behaves very well. Wyatt is my high maintenance child, into everything!!
So how did you wean during the night?? FYI: both children are still in our bdrm. Wyatt is in bed with me.
Thanks, Melody

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:31 am

LizzyBeth
User

Postby LizzyBeth » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:49 am

Return to “Getting Started”