French

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

schoolymum
User

French

Postby schoolymum » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:28 am

there are short cuts to happiness and dance is one of them xx

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:38 pm

AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

Lenethren
User

Postby Lenethren » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:20 pm

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.-Goethe

Ramona
User

Re: french

Postby Ramona » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:47 am

We've studied Spanish, ASL, Russian, German, French, Portuguese and Latin.

Ramona

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:07 pm

We're doing ASL, Spanish and Latin. I'm going to be learning Italian on my own so I may pass that on to the kids as well.
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:48 pm

My daughter has taken ASL, Spanish, (studied Egyptian hieroglyphics quite extensively), and Latin.

Both my son and daughter will finish up two years of Japanese this year in the first semester.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:13 pm

My daughter, now 6, has been using Signed Exact English (SEE) since she was 14 months old. Creation for Little Sprouts by Soul Seeds Videos is really nice for toddlers.

We started listening to the CDs with Junior Power-Glide for French since she was 3 years old and some other French teaching CDs, like from Twin Sisters. I am hoping to get Tell Me More French soon (more for me at this time than for my daughter).

She started Latin's Not So Tough at four, which I have got to say learning Latin vowels helped quite a bit with those exceptions to the typical rule with English phonics. I did make sure she was solid with English phonics before introducing the Latin, and from my experience with it, I think it is a shame that this is not suggested as a common practice.

I am planning to begin introducing Andrew Teach Me Some Greek sometime this year. I also have Junior Power-Glide Spanish probably for a few years from now. There are plenty of classes available for Spanish around here too.

seven
User

Postby seven » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:41 am

my ten year old did three years of french immersion in public school before changing over to english in grade four (she just finished grade five in PS, we're new homeschoolers, starting this fall) so she has a pretty good base of knowledge (for lack of a better phrase?) in french -- i also have several family members who speak french and speak some myself (though i'm not bilingual), so we'll keep up her french instruction, but not really with a "program" .. just with speaking, reading, etc.....

she *does* have an interest as well in something that would perhaps fall under "language", though it's not really language so much as another form of reading & writing english ---- her younger brother is blind and is beginning to learn braille... she's quite taken with it herself and has been learning some - though she's learning to read it visually as opposed to reading with her fingertips ;)

*Angie*
User

Postby *Angie* » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:07 pm

We're teaching French to our children. We live in a bilingual province, and my entire family is French-speaking (mostly first-language). My kids grow up hearing French, even though it's not the primary language in our home. Josh is just starting kindergarten, and I'm including the basic French vocabulary as part of his curriculum this year.

Starting with first grade, we'll most likely use the public school French curriculum.
Angie
Married to my best friend, Jeff
Blessed mom to Josh & Asher

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:11 pm

Return to “Getting Started”