Scope&Sequence Question....another newbie :-)

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

KREDMom
User

Scope&Sequence Question....another newbie :-)

Postby KREDMom » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:13 am

Hi. I am new to this board...first post right now.....I've been lurking and am enjoying the wealth of information and experience. My first question is in regards to a scope and sequence or course of study list of subjects for children to learn. When the S&S gives the list, how do you go about implementing it??? Do you cover a specific topic, for example Social Studies might give a topic of "world regions"....how do you cover/teach this topic...over a week, until the child understands, in bits and peices over several weeks? I'm a bit nervous about taking this plunge so sticking to a system of more structure, for right now, seems to help my comfort level. Just wondering if anyone had any input or advice on this question. Thanks so much!!

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:50 pm

I would start with what you expect your child to learn. I don't know your child's age, but I would start by listing 3-10 main ideas, facts, or concepts you think is appropriate for your child to learn. We are going to start with Exploration this summer. I want my kids to learn about some explorers, 1)why they were exploring, 2)what route they took to get there, 3)what countrysponsored/funded their travel, 4) what they found, and 5)how it impacted the world.

I'm going to expect my 2nd grader to know these facts about at least 2 different explorers. I'll expect the 3rd grader to learn about 4 explorers, and the 5th grader to learn about 6-8 explorers. I'll also want them to trace on a map the route of each of their explorers. To me, this seems like reasonable expectations for covering the topic adequately. Since I know exactly what I expect them to learn, that gives me a guideline for choosing books. Next I'll reserve some specific books/videos from the library on the topic, then we'll all go the the libaray and come home with lots of books on exploration and different explorers. We'll make maps, read stories, watch DVDs or videos of their lives and perhaps fill in a chart to make sure we know stay focused on what we are looking for. Hopefully, they'll learn more than just what I set out to teach them, but having my Plan, helps me make sure we learn in a strategic manner that covers the topic to my satisfaction.

Hope this helps. Good luck
milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

StellarStory
User

Re: Scope&Sequence Question....another newbie :-)

Postby StellarStory » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:53 pm

I wouldn't bother too much with someone else’s scope and sequence except maybe the occasional look to see if there is an area you forgot that you feel you should cover. Just because an educator says cover XYZ at X grade doesn’t mean you have to. Covering a topic because someone says to cover it doesn't mean it will be retained.

Think about what kind of education do you want for your child? What subjects are important to you for them to learn? Do you just want to cover the 3 R's. Or are you interested in having them learn science, or history or art? If you buy a curriculum it comes with it's own schedule any way. Is doing ' World religions" important to you? Don't do it if it's like "Ok we are up to world religion kids in the S&S, lets get it over with!â€
Jo from Australia

Return to “Getting Started”