Finding a good curriculum

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

JennyC95
User

Finding a good curriculum

Postby JennyC95 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Hello! I'm just starting to homeschool my 5 year old daughter in Kindergarten. I'm trying to find the right curriculum for her. Any suggestions? What to look for and what I should avoid, or should I try and put my own curriculum together. I'm a stay at home mom so I have a lot of time for schooling and activities.

elliemaejune
User

Re: Finding a good curriculum

Postby elliemaejune » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:51 pm

Welcome to the forum. :D

What to avoid: a whole box of books. You don't need to be doing every-day-just-like-school. A little five-year-old person still needs to play, and to listen to her mother read aloud, and to help with age-appropriate chores around the house, and so on.

What you need: not much, really. You can do something for phonics, and a little penmanship, and something for arithmetic. The rest of life should be field trips and going to the library and taking the bus and dropping by the neighborhood fire station and so on.

If you sleuth around on this site you'll find many excellent resources. Also, it would be good for you to connect to local homeschoolers. You may be able to find some on the forum for your state.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 40 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Servant of 1 kitteh

Bitman
User

Re: Finding a good curriculum

Postby Bitman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:14 am

OP, you might want to go to homeschoolreviews.com.
They have a ton of feedback from other parents.
Also, I highly recommend Singapore math (singaporemath.com) and follow it carefully without skipping ahead.
There are programs like Calvert that have everything you need in one box.
You need to be disciplined and make sure that you spend no more than about 3 hours a day with him on academics.
Regards Bitman

Return to “Getting Started”