Does it need to be accredited for homeschooling

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momsonthemove
User

Does it need to be accredited for homeschooling

Postby momsonthemove » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:03 am

hi everyone. just move here in the US. i got a daugther and a son both finished regular schooling and now they are supposed to be on 2nd grade and 8th grade.Because of my husband's job we have no choice but to move from one home to another. we are now in iowa and i think it is best for my kids to do homeschooling. Does it need to be an accredited homeschool so just in case we decided to stay in place for a longer time my kids can transfer to a regular school. Thanks for all the infos and links about online homeschool it really helped... i just need more links for free online homeschool and it's ok if we buy curriculums. What do you think is the best online homeschool that there is no pressure in the pace of study...kids can do online tests and they can email us their grades, and also some biblical lessons within the curriculum?
hope you can help me out. thanks again

elliemaejune
User

Re: Does it need to be accredited for homeschooling

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:39 am

momsonthemove wrote:hi everyone. just move here in the US. i got a daugther and a son both finished regular schooling and now they are supposed to be on 2nd grade and 8th grade.Because of my husband's job we have no choice but to move from one home to another. we are now in iowa and i think it is best for my kids to do homeschooling. Does it need to be an accredited homeschool so just in case we decided to stay in place for a longer time my kids can transfer to a regular school. Thanks for all the infos and links about online homeschool it really helped... i just need more links for free online homeschool and it's ok if we buy curriculums. What do you think is the best online homeschool that there is no pressure in the pace of study...kids can do online tests and they can email us their grades, and also some biblical lessons within the curriculum?
hope you can help me out. thanks again

No, homeschooling does not require any accreditation, although you need to be sure that you comply with the homeschool laws (if any) in the state where you live.

There are distance-learning schools or homeschool "umbrella" or "cover" schools that are accredited, but you need to know the law in your state to decide whether it is necessary or beneficial to enroll your children in them.

Generally, if you decide to enroll your children in school, it will not make a difference whether or not they had been enrolled in an accredited school of some kind. At the elementary level, there are usually no problems, although it would be a good idea for children to have been tested with a nationally standardized test before approaching the school. At the high school level (above 9th grade) there are commonly problems because of credits earned. Many public and private schools are reluctant to accept credits earned at home.

Of course you can buy anything you want to teach your children at home. :-) I don't know of any Christian-based on-line schools that are easy on the budget. Both ABeka and Bob Jones University Press have on-line options, but they are pricey, and there is definitely pressure to complete the work by certain dates. Also, both require textbooks in addition to on-line instruction.

My very strong recommendation is to join HSDLA (Home School Legal Defense Association) as soon as possible. hslda.org
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years
Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil
Grandmother to 1 sweet boy
Caretaker of 2 budgies

momsonthemove
User

Postby momsonthemove » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:12 pm

thanks for the info. Actually, i really don't want to mess with state laws since we are going to move from one place to another... and am really getting confused with accreditation. That's why i considered homeschooling, we can study and finished schooling wherever place we end up.I guess if you do online homeschooling that would be eligible enough if we decide to put the kids back into an actual school. Could you please give me some online homeschool that are affordable and they have a bundle (tuition fee and curriculum included) and we can do studying at our pace. I have some of the schools that i got from your thread like Class, Cava k12 ...thanks for the HSLDA info i will be joining.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:13 pm

momsonthemove wrote:thanks for the info. Actually, i really don't want to mess with state laws since we are going to move from one place to another... and am really getting confused with accreditation. That's why i considered homeschooling, we can study and finished schooling wherever place we end up.I guess if you do online homeschooling that would be eligible enough if we decide to put the kids back into an actual school. Could you please give me some online homeschool that are affordable and they have a bundle (tuition fee and curriculum included) and we can do studying at our pace. I have some of the schools that i got from your thread like Class, Cava k12 ...thanks for the HSLDA info i will be joining.

You have to mess with state laws. You are required to follow the laws of the state where you live.

There's no need to be concerned about accreditation, unless you live in a state which requires homeschoolers to enroll their children in a cover/umbrella school that is accredited.

By "online homeschooling," are you referring to public charter schools that are Internet-based? In that case, (1) legally you are not homeschooling; rather, your children are public school students; you would not be able to join HSLDA because theoretically you wouldn't need any of their services; (2) not all states offer them, and some states which do have stipulations (e.g., in Texas, children must have attended public school the previous year); (3) in most cases, you have to live in the state where the virtual school is based; in other words, you'd have to change schools each time you move.

The only way to get everything free (if you are determined to do everything on-line) is to enroll in a public school charter such as CAVA.
Married to Mr. Ellie for over 30 years

Mother to 2 dds and 2 dsil

Grandmother to 1 sweet boy

Caretaker of 2 budgies

Return to “Getting Started”