Page 1 of 1

2 very important ?'s.Records and letting the schoool know...

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:32 am
by goodgirlquin
In my state we do not have to keep records but I am going to each year in case anyone ever questions me.How do I go about doing this? Is a treachers lesson planner enough doc.?Writting what was done daily and the grades in it.With dates and page assigments.

2nd how do I go about telling the school.We are not coming back? Do I need to or what is coreect here?

Thanks so much,

You'll need to send a Letter of Intent:

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:14 pm
by Theodore
You'll need to let the school board know initially that you're going to be homeschooling, by sending them a Letter of Intent. The information you're required to supply in the letter can vary from state to state, however, as well as the additional legal requirements such as testing, record-keeping, etc., so it would probably be helpful to let us know what state you're in.

As for record-keeping, a weekly summary of material covered, with any applicable grades, should be sufficient. Once you get into high school material, you can also take standardized tests - AP, CLEP, or DANTES - rather than keep records, which I highly recommend both for simplicity's sake and for potential college credit.

I am in Oklahoma.....

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:01 pm
by goodgirlquin
We are lucky it is very relaxed here.

Thanks for your replies your are always answering ?'s.


Looks like you're right, Oklahoma is pretty relaxed...

Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:24 pm
by Theodore

Looks like you're right, Oklahoma is pretty relaxed. It's up to the family (or if the worst happens, a jury) to decide what constitutes private instruction in good faith. You don't have to follow a set schedule or even a certain minimum number of hours - even the public school system only requires 3 hours of one-on-one instruction per week for their homebound program. There also doesn't seem to be any testing or (formal) record-keeping requirements, though in my opinion testing your children every year or two doesn't hurt anything, so long as you're not required to give the results to the state.