Need advice...

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

JillK
User

Need advice...

Postby JillK » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:08 pm

Hello everyone. I'm new here and hope to get some input from experienced homeschoolers.

Here is my situation:

My dd is 5 yrs and ds is 4 yrs. They have had some time in preschool but we have moved twice so it has been a little off and on. This fall dd was in a pre-k program and ds in preschool during Sept & Oct in North Carolina. Then we moved back to NY and since then they have been home and I have been working with them some. I keep it casual and they basically enjoy it.

Anyway, if I do homeschool them I would be sure they are involved in many other activities etc., but what if they would actually prefer to go to school? Today my ds asked me when can he go back to school? I mentioned that perhaps they will do school at home with me. He did not like my suggestion. I also think he could be somewhat difficult to homeschool because he can be somewhat stubborn to put it lightly. They both enjoyed their preschools and did well socially, etc.

Anyway, I don't mean to ramble but I'm torn about what to do. Is it possible that school could be a better choice? I guess I feel confused partly because my choice wouldn't be because we live in a terrible school district or because my child is having difficulties in school or doesn't want to go to school. Could I be being selfish by wanting to keep them home? I thought hs was the best choice but now I'm having some doubt and need support.

Maybe I'm partly scared about the responsibility of the undertaking. Deep down I feel like they would benefit from it overall if I can handle it.

One last thought - they are just 14 months apart and they seem to always be in competition for my attention. By the end of the day I'm a frazzled. So, either I'm not cut out for homeschooling or I need to learn some techniques on how to keep our day calm and productive. I mean we are still working on basic listening skills here. Is being a super mom a requirement for homeschooling? I mean seriously, I think you are a wonderful, brave and strong parents to be doing what you do. I say that very sincerely.

Scared and confused ,
Jill :?

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:13 pm

I don't think it selfish to want to do what you feel is best for them..

and yes ma'am, it can be a struggle to get through the day, it is
doable though.

mark

isamama
User

Pre-school and K12 are different

Postby isamama » Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:02 am

In preschool there seems to be a different rule book on what they will tolerate from other children as far as shunning, bullying, and other unpleasant social plights. Once in K12 they seem to have a new rule book designed to toughen up the kids - what other purpose would they have for some things that have gone on.

You don't need to live in a bad school district to have a good reason to homeschool. We lived in a highly rated "safe" village of NH when I found myself having to homeschool my 4th grade ds for his safety - go figure. We moved and six years later I found myself having to homeschool again. Our town/district is good; many families migrate here just to raise their kids. I know, we were one, but I ended up homeschooling this time because the principal of the high school said my son couldn't learn Algebra and they shouldn't be expected to teach him it. He said my son should be a menial worker. My son is a University student taking his last semester of Calculus - go figure again.

We aren't wonderparents, in fact sometimes I think I am taking the lazy way out because I see those that juggle work, kids, and vacation time so as to not collide with the ps schedule as wonderparents. While I, on the other hand, sit there in my morning jammies watching the parade take their kids to school (we live very near a school). I can schedule vacations around my dh's work schedule instead. I don't need to bow to an administrator and ask forgiveness if my child gets ill and is absent.

If we let our kids choose what they want to eat or do would they turn out the way we hope? Imo, Probably not. That is why it is up to us to make these decisions for them. Children and recipes have a lot in common, how they turn out in the long run depends on what we put into them and how they are prepared. I'll leave you with that thought.
I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. - Woodrow Wilson.

JillK
User

Postby JillK » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:47 am

Thank you both. I'm feeling stronger about my decision to hs. I know it will be best for them and our family as a whole. Its so helpful to have such great resources online to help.

Jill

Return to “Getting Started”