Year Round Schooling

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

lorelei
User

Year Round Schooling

Postby lorelei » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:12 pm

Does anyone here do this? If so can you tell me when you start and end each school year? I think for us it would be a better system as we take a lot of trips during the year as opposed to being gone during the summer months. The one thing, and this may seem silly as my oldest homeschooler is only 5, I am wondering about is graduation. I think here in SC they have a statewide graduation for homeschoolers and I would think that most children start in Aug/Sept and finish up in May. If we did year round schooling it looks as if most people start mid-late July and finish up late may or the end of June. How would this work, or am I just over analyzing the situation? LOL :oops:
Lori, proud mom to Hunter (6) and Dalton (3)

janzeiger
User

365 days a year

Postby janzeiger » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:02 am

We learn all year long. We unschool so everything from trips to the museum to trips to the grocery store are learning experiences. :)

WAHMBrenda
User

Postby WAHMBrenda » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:44 am

We homeschool all year long. We do 30 minutes of workbook type learning each day. The rest of the day we unschool. Since we live in a state where we have to turn in portfolios on June 30 I stop the portfolio on June 23 and start a new one on June 24. If this is what you're wondering about you can message me and I'll help you some more.
If you're concerned about either the Earth or your health, then you owe it to yourself to check out this web site!

lorelei
User

Postby lorelei » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Brenda, I sent you a PM.
Thanks

elliemaejune
User

Our school year began January 1 and ended December 31 :-)

Postby elliemaejune » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:00 pm

I introduced things when I thought my dc were ready for it, regardless of what time of year it was. We took off Thanksgiving through the beginning of January, took off a couple of weeks in the spring, took off a couple of weeks in late August/early September, and then whenever else we felt like it. Otherwise, we just learned stuff all the time.

Even if your state hs graduation is in May, you can still graduate your dc when you feel like it. You do not need to be constrained in any way to follow anyone else's pattern for your dc's educational needs.

lorelei
User

Postby lorelei » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:17 pm

Ok, so is it feasible that if I do year round schooling that I could do it from Jan-Dec? What happened is that my son turned 5 the end of September...so he missed the cut-off for public school by 27 days. I had been working with him for a few months on some basic kindergarten stuff. When we made the final decision to home school I didn't want to wait all the way until Aug/Sept to start with him. I just started him this past Monday. I had thought since he knew a good bit already that I would just double up here and there on some lessons and have us done by July so that he could start 1st grade in Aug/Sept. Now that I've read some things on year round schooling I'm really leaning towards that and was thinking about just running our school year from Jan-Dec. I had posted above about when he would graduate the state does it in May..well I found out today that that graduation is for a certain group of homeschoolers, not the group we are in. Not sure how the laws are in other states, but in SC you can go thru your local school district office, or you can go thru another group called SCAIHS (South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools, or you can go with a group called "3rd option" (which is what we are doing). Basically with 3rd option you have a couple of mandatory meetings a year and you bring samples of the child's work but you keep up with the files yourself, etc. With 3rd Option you would graduate your child when he/she completes the work required to graduate. I would assume that doesn't matter if it's May or October. We have one of those mandatory meetings tomorrow night, so I do intend to ask a few questions.

Anyway, one week down, and so far so good. It really went better than I expected. Thanks again to all of you. I've found everyone to be so helpful and quick to respond!

joyfuldays
User

Postby joyfuldays » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:28 pm

My state says the school year ends June 30th for us and starts new on July 1. That is how I count it on our books, but if we are on Chapter 2 on the 30th of June, on July 1st we just go to Chapter 3. So I guess our year only "ends" on paper.

We school year round and our breaks are d/t circumstances.
joyfuldays

lorelei
User

Postby lorelei » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:19 am

:D So we had our meeting last night and I was able to ask some of these questions to the lady that is over our group here. She said that it is 100% fine for me to homeschool year round and do it Jan-Dec. She said that for the kids that are done in May that they do have an optional graduation program we can participate in...or I can order a diploma online and graduate him myself when he's done. I feel soooo much more relaxed about everything now that I know this for sure. Thank you all so much for your replies!

Return to “Getting Started”