I have 5 kids and I'm considering HS

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

MissLisha
User

I have 5 kids and I'm considering HS

Postby MissLisha » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:06 am

My have husband and I are really considering HS next school year, but I have 5 children (9, 3, & 2 year old girls and 7 & 5 year old boys) and 3 are in school right now and the younger 2 stay at home with me. How would that work as far as 5 different age groups and 3 different grades???? We really feel strongly that this HS is what we want to do, but is it possible with our situation?

Ramona
User

Re: I have 5 kids and I'm considering HS

Postby Ramona » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 pm

Hi!

I homeschool and I have 6 kids. They are doing 5 different grades' curriculum right now and the youngest is still nursing. I have a son doing 12th grade, and daughters doing 11th, 8th and 2nd. My youngest daughter will start Kindergarten next month. She's been doing pre-K stuff. My baby boy is 2 today and doesn't do any curriculum yet, although he participates in our group activities quite a lot and thinks he's at least 12. :wink:

I have always homeschooled, so I've done it with all sorts of different age combinations. When I first started my oldest doing pre-K stuff, his little sister sometimes listened to stories I read him and almost always did all the dancing games and activities with us. We added in one more child at a time gradually.

I've read tips and suggestions that even if you're starting with several school-age kids already you could still start lessons with just one of them for at least the first week or two and then add one more child at a time until you have everybody working at a level you're comfortable with.

Homeschooling doesn't have to be like institutional school in terms of everybody starting on the same day and going through a grade on the same "schoolyear." My oldest and third and fourth kids go from September through July each year, my second goes from May through March, and my 5th will start on a January-through-November schedule. Some grades have taken more than a year because of family circumstances and that's been fine. Occasionally someone has taken less than a year and that's fine too.

Go to the board here called A Day at Our House and look for my thread called A Day with 6 Kids to get an idea of how we do things now. (We've changed somewhat many times over the years.)

To answer your questions, it would work however it works out best for you and your family, and it's certainly possible in your situation! :D

Ramona

MissLisha
User

Postby MissLisha » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:34 am

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:22 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:53 pm

Truancy can come into the equation when you don't notify the school system you're pulling your children out, and they count each day your children are gone as a missed day of school. The law as to whether you're required to notify does vary from state to state, but it is in my opinion a good idea to notify the school regardless so as to prevent any potential problems of this sort.

Also, send the notification certified mail, since paperwork has been known to occasionally "disappear". An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and all that :)

MissLisha
User

Postby MissLisha » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:35 pm

:lol: We have decided to go ahead begin HS starting next school term. Thank you for the advice. I just found out that I will be having another little one :shock: , so any advice will be gladly appreciated. Now that I know that it can be done its a matter of doing it. And I hope to get to know everyone soon. Thanks again.

Mark

Postby Mark » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:36 am

congrats.. both on your decision to HS and on the pending arrival of
another little one. :)

Return to “Getting Started”