Homeschool Name?

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

amandasangels
User

Postby amandasangels » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:51 am

I am really glad you all had this thread on here. I had not even thought of all the places/ways that a homeschool name might need to be used, especially later in life. I had planned on calling our homeschool Amanda's Angels Academy. I guess that would be okay through elementary school or so, but not so good for jr. high and high school. I've been thinking about it and believe I will use At The Cross Academy or ATCA. I think it sounds at least a little better.
Love & Blessings,
(: Amanda :)
www.homeschoolblogger.com/amandasangels

milehimom
User

Postby milehimom » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:12 pm

This is my first post.... I've enjoyed reading all the ideas about naming your homeschool. We are beginning our homeschool this July. Can't wait! We are all so excited we could really start tomorrow, but I want them to finish this school year AND I like having the time to plan, research and get everything ready! I do like the suggestion of a name! Our last name is Fields, so it seems like I could work it into a school name and have both our last name AND a school name in one! I'm thinking of Pinefields Academy. We live on 5 acres of woods filled with pines and ponds. Any other ideas? If I give the kids a choice (grades 1,2, and 4) that gives them more ownership! :)

Debbie

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:49 pm

I named our homeschol Little Dragons Academy. It will need to be changed when the kids get older but it's nothing that's been "legally" registered or written in stone or anything so I can tweak the name to reflect an older age group when we get there.

I named it Little Dragons Academy because our family is a mix of Pagan and Eastern Beliefs/Martial Arts - dragons are present in both. Not to mention that two of the four of us were born in the year of the Dragon in Chinese Zodiac. We're surrounded by dragons in our house and we love it! :)
To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

iamnettie
User

Postby iamnettie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:55 pm

We call ours "Pierce Family School" we even have a school song and everything.

arewethereyet
User

Postby arewethereyet » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi, this is my first post here. But yes we named our school. We are Wakefield Academy. We chose Wakefield as it was the name of a street that had been plotted when our prior subdivision was set up. It was never paved, but would have divided our lot in two.
We have a mascot - the wildcats and school colors - navy, orange, gray, and light blue. One of our art projects this year is going to be develop a class shield. I'm even planning on printing t-shirts this year. It's mostly all in fun. It is nice when you are sending away for things online to have a school name to fill in. I also think it will look and sound professional on a diploma and transcipts.

dakeeper
User

Postby dakeeper » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:17 pm

I am still at a loss for naming ours...and I only have until he is 7 to figure it out...agggg!!! which is ...8 months away, so i better figure something out...:)
~Angie~
wife to Wayne
Mom to Dylan(6) and Alayna(2)

lishut
User

homeschool name

Postby lishut » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:16 pm

I just named our school (last name academy) We made t-shirts with this on the back so when we go out people don't question why she is not in school. I also had business cards made up as a form of identification stating the name of our school, my name, address, number, and that i'm the tutor and my dh is the principal. I'm told that you can get discounts at certain retailers but you must have id, although i haven't tried it yet. my dd loved being a part of something we created, it was FUN!
Lisa

DESmom
User

Postby DESmom » Tue May 08, 2007 2:04 am

DES is short for our school name

Domus Elementary School My childern are learning Latin so they just named it Home in Latin. They wanted the option to easily change it when they were older so we used elementary so they can change if they want. Plus Academy sounded little stuffy and we are very laied back but they didn't like Learning Center.
Chele
Homeschooling mom to
Katelyn, Breanna, Danelle, Morgann, Terresa, Timothy and Isabella

tiarich
User

School name

Postby tiarich » Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 pm

Our school name is Mountain View Academy. Our mascot is a tiger and our colors are orange and black.

We came up with our mascot and colors by pulling names. We had mascot: falcons color: red and black (my son loves the atlanta falcons)
mascot: jaguars color: yellow and blue
mascot: tigers color: orange and black

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri May 11, 2007 5:15 pm

We have a cover school. We don't have a name though, the cover school does.

Stellar

bigreys5
User

Postby bigreys5 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:58 pm

Our school name is Kings Academy- because my husband's father is originally from Guatemala and our last name means Kings in Spanish. :D
Batrice - Kings Academy
Mommy to: Gabriel(2000)allergic to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish and Michael(2003)
Step mom to: Isaiah(1996) andRebekah(1997)

joyce
User

names

Postby joyce » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:30 am

This thread has been soooo interesting!!! My DD has completed K & 1st hs, wiil be starting 2nd this fall & is 6y/o. I've been so focused on the schooling that I never considered a name!!!I will get busy brain-storming & get her input, too. & I love the mascot/colors idea!!! Thanks for all the ideas.
God Bless You!! Joyce

milehimom
User

Found a name

Postby milehimom » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:11 pm

We finally came up with a name: Winding River Academy. We have a 'river' (manmade water feature) in our yard and Winding River is actually the name of a campground we LOVE in Colorado. The kids really liked the sound of Academy, instead of just school. Thanks everyone for your suggestions that helped us decide. We made up a Tshirt stencil on the computer, but haven't ironed it on to shirts yet. Kids are trying to decide if all three have to pick the same color shirt, or if it should be tshirts or sweatshirts! An awful lot of thought is going into this! Lots of work for just one year of homeschool, but we'll have the shirts to wear to remind us when we are done.
milehimom
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.

StellarStory
User

Re: Found a name

Postby StellarStory » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:22 pm

milehimom wrote:We finally came up with a name: Winding River Academy. We have a 'river' (manmade water feature) in our yard and Winding River is actually the name of a campground we LOVE in Colorado. The kids really liked the sound of Academy, instead of just school. Thanks everyone for your suggestions that helped us decide. We made up a Tshirt stencil on the computer, but haven't ironed it on to shirts yet. Kids are trying to decide if all three have to pick the same color shirt, or if it should be tshirts or sweatshirts! An awful lot of thought is going into this! Lots of work for just one year of homeschool, but we'll have the shirts to wear to remind us when we are done.

That sounds great! I love the idea of T shirts. I've been meaning to make some of those for my business but haven't gotten around to it.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:25 am

We decided on Phoenix Learning Academy. This is because we are a family that is constantly rising from the ashes in out lives. We go through a lot of change and disappointments, but we always rise up again. This name was my husband's idea. He has such great ones when I stop getting in the way. :wink:
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Getting Started”