Considering home schooling

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

cgholden
User

Considering home schooling

Postby cgholden » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:24 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:50 am

cgholden
User

Postby cgholden » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:02 am

Aurie
User

Postby Aurie » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:07 pm

What does your sister do or use?

Here is a link to a couple of books on Amazon:

There are several books there, but the first two are about homeschool for little to no cost. There are tons of materials online which you can get for the cost of paper and ink.

When you same limited education? What do you mean? Most states only require a high school diploma. There are a few that do not have any requirements, as well as a couple who require a bachelor's degree or higher. This site will give you more information on the laws in your state:

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp

Good luck!

Miyu
User

Postby Miyu » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:37 pm

robinsegg
User

Postby robinsegg » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:34 pm

I'm sorry. You said "they say he needs to meet the state requirements". Who are "they"? Take a look at http://www.hslda.org for the requirements of your state.

If he's doing well in school (except for homework), I'd suggest
1. Finding out why homework is an issue.
2. Finding out why the homework is required.
3. Brining him the material and simply testing him on it. If he fails, try it again, a different way. Remember, when you're the teacher, you can teach it as many times as you need to. Not just once and move on whether he gets it or not.
4. Don't pressure yourself as to time. If you need to go into the summer to complete the work, do so.
Rachel
teacher at home
The Cleft in the Rock Academy

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:27 pm

This page from Mass. HOPE gives info on how to get started, including specifics on what info you do and don't need to send the school district:
http://www.masshope.org/gettingstarted.html

cgholden
User

Postby cgholden » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:50 am

Thanks to everyone who responed to my questions. My sister was able to help me out with alot of the materials and the questions about the districts require ments. I guess I'm just kind of nervous about doing this and part of me is questioning myself as to whether its the right thing to do. The more I think about it the better I feel about doing it and my son is actually eager to get the paper work saying he doesn't have to go back anymore. So THANKS AGAIN

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:05 pm

I live in Ma too, and if you are talking about MCAS, he doesn't have to take them. THe rest is up to your district. Make sure you get guidelines from the superintendant as to what they want from you. You will do fine!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

OA
User

Postby OA » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:21 am

If you are considering starting home schooling, there are free PRINTABLES for home schoolers available at the link below. If you are interested in joining this Yahoo support group for home schoolers, you will receive daily reminders to post and connect with other home schoolers right HERE at "HOMESCHOOL WORLD", which is listed on the home page. For home schoolers getting started, there are many RESOURCES and LINKS to help you get off to a great start! You will receive weekly messages to encourage and support you in your role as home schooling mom, wife and homemaker!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HomeSchoolingHelp4Moms

You are welcome to join us!!!!

Return to “Getting Started”