Chapter book series for a 7 year old

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

AprilP
User

Chapter book series for a 7 year old

Postby AprilP » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:18 pm

I'm looking for ideas for chapter books for my 7.5 year old. She liked the Junie B Jones (I wasn't crazy about them) but she is beyond that reading level now. Any opinions on The Magic Treehouse series?

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm

The magic treehyouse is okay, but beware that the children do sneak off and lie to their mother. My son, 8 loves the boxcar children. That series goes on forever! Their are some great mystery books too, "nate the great" and "cam Jansen" are good some series. If she likes the Magic school bus, they have chapter books too. I hope this helps.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:28 pm

I didn't especially like Magic Treehouse, but I think that's because it's below my daughter's reading level.

MeganWiles
User

Postby MeganWiles » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:12 pm

What about the Bobbsy twin series? Kind of along the line of Nancy Drew, but geared toward a younger crowd.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:15 pm

Boxcar Children aren't too bad, and Chronicles of Narnia (there are seven books in the series) is a must-read. I also immensely enjoyed Tintin and Freddy the Pig, and Prince Valiant is a great series too.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:40 am

Tintin, for a seven years old. It had a few situations that weren't quite for that age group I thought. Drugs, and really real bad guys.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:04 pm

Well, there's a few you probably want to reserve for a later age (the one where you meet Captain Haddock, the one with extraterrestrials, etc.), but there are so many others that are good stories. Yes, there are bad guys, but it's not like blood splatters and people getting blown apart - it's more on the level of classic comic books.

You can probably find them at a local library and look through each one to see if it's ok or not.

OA
User

Postby OA » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:12 pm

My children have always enjoyed the books by the British author, Enid Blyton. They loved reading the "Adventure" series, as well as "The Famous Five" books. We had some difficulty in ordering them from some local bookstores, and found several copies of her books in used book stores. You may find some through searches on the internet. Enid Blyton has also written Bible story books as well, and I LOVED reading her books as a child. My children now have a far greater collection then I ever had! :D

A link to her books is at:

http://www.chorion.co.uk/chorion/brand/blyton/

~ Annie <><

pancharnic
User

Postby pancharnic » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:51 pm

I love the magic tree house series. We have lots of conversations about the adventures of Jack and Annie and of course these lead into several discussions on Ancient China or life in Pompeii etc. I think they foster the imagination.

I loved the original Enid Blyton I do not care for the "newer" ones as the language has become too "adult". The Famous Five - used to be my favourite!

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:39 pm

I like the magic treehouse books as does my daughter. There is also a series out with unicorns in it that my daughter likes but I can't remember what it is and we just moved so most of our books are still in boxes. My daughter is almost 9 and still loves reading the junie b. jones books. She reads well above her grade level but just likes the stories. She likes to tell me about when she was in first grade while she is reading them. I personally don't think that the level she reads at should influence the books she likes to read. She gets enough reading that is at her level during school so when she reads for enjoyment I let her pick. As long as she is reading something I don't care what it is as long as it is clean.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:07 pm

Morgan
User

Postby Morgan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:01 pm

Your 7 1/2 year old may enjoy the Magic Treehouse. They are creative books which can create a bright imagination in your daughter. Cam Jansen are another I liked a bit at that age. The Cam Jansen series are fun mysteries.
"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Suggest a Topic”