How do you homeschool with very little money?

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wendit59
User

How do you homeschool with very little money?

Postby wendit59 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:02 pm

:D Hi!
I'm hoping to get tips here. For us, this is my first year hs our 4 children. We've gotten used curriculum on e-bay and I've gotten some new through Rainbow Resource and Christian Books, then some stuff from the library. Can you tell we use eclectic home schooling? Then we pray and God provides, too. So let's hear your ideas, okay?
Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior!

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:57 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

micheller79
User

acheaphs

Postby micheller79 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:16 am

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:05 pm

Internet!! There is tons on there that can be done with little or no money.
AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

mezuro
User

Postby mezuro » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:14 am

Remember forever.

Ramona
User

Re: How do you homeschool with very little money?

Postby Ramona » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:52 pm

--Read the books you have around the house
--Library books
--Write your own life stories and have children write theirs
--Keep a daily journal
--Teach kids songs you already know or have around the house
--Research ancestors and study family history
--Write letters to faraway friends and relatives
--Perform volunteer service for all sorts of different groups in your community
--Grow a garden
--Clean house inside and out
--Learn and do home repairs
--Beautify the home
--Cook and bake together
--Read newspapers and mail that come into the home
--Get to know neighbors
--Do art projects using junk mail you receive
--Use sample pages from ads for kids' magazines--photocopy them, enlarge them, re-use them for each child or every year
--Walk to nearby parks, playgrounds, sports fields, empty lots, and other interesting places
--Save all paper with one blank side that comes into the house and let the kids write and draw on it
--Teach kids games from your childhood that don't require equipment, like Hide and Seek, Tag, Fox and Geese, Colored Eggs
--Teach kids your family traditions surrounding holidays and other special occasions; start some new ones
--Request that friends and relatives who will be giving you or your kids gifts for occasions like birthdays and holidays please give things that are useful academically

Ramona

Morgan
User

Postby Morgan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:37 pm

(Great suggestions Ramona!)

If you are homeschooling children in elementary school, it will be much cheaper than if they were in middle or high school, considering SAT/ACT test prep, large textbooks, etc.

If you ARE indeed home educating young children, you can find most things for little or no money, such as workbooks, etc. You can get other things from the library, as Ramona has said, and you can also create your own essays/writing prompts, if you don't mind writing, by simply writing instructions on a piece of lined paper and giving it to your kids. You can also find some cheap printer paper and there are some free online writing prompts/worksheets, etc. that you can print out (be sure to use lightest ink volume, and print in black and white).

But if you are homeschooling teens, it would be about the time when you need to begin purchasing more expensive textbooks, and college test prep, too. What we do is buy used textbooks off of Amazon or eBay. You can get lightly used books for a lot less than new and if you purchase older versions (this is not a good idea for history, however, due to the fact that older books would contain less info. about serious recent events like 9/11), then you can usually get those cheaper as well. You can buy notebooks for 50-70 cents from superstores around back-to-school time, and you can have your kids write journal entries or small essays daily.
Last edited by Morgan on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

Ramona
User

History books

Postby Ramona » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:45 pm

jan
User

HEY

Postby jan » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:57 pm

You have a very good point about those old history books, Ramona!
I have found lots old text books at Goodwill, very cheap and even yard sales. Then when finished with them you can redonate. That is 1 of the things I like about HSing the sky is the limit, just use your imagination.

<>< <>< <>< <>< :D

bigreys5
User

Postby bigreys5 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Batrice - Kings Academy
Mommy to: Gabriel(2000)allergic to peanuts, treenuts, shellfish and Michael(2003)
Step mom to: Isaiah(1996) andRebekah(1997)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:18 am

Here are a few useful websites.

http://spelling.wordpress.com/

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15456 (for the spelling book)

http://2020ok.com/tags/english_language.htm

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... 5267&nsa=1

basically if you have time and internet, you can find about anything free or just about. I hope this helps.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Morgan
User

Postby Morgan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:08 pm

eBay and Amazon.com are our main sources for HS textbooks. You ca easily find lightly used textbooks for a few dollars or, if you don't mind a few highlighter marks here and there, for literally a few cents. Although most high school textbooks like Physics, Chemistry, or Calculus tend to have more content, they cost a lot more than other books. However, there are benefits to large "textbook bundles" that you can buy online that contain lots of little workbooks and a teacher's edition of the textbook. My mom bought a Chemistry textbook bundle for $52.00 on eBay. It had over 20 workbooks included with the regular textbook and teacher's edition textbook. She had me keep the teacher's edition textbook so that she could refer to it when necessary, along with about five of the 25 workbooks in the bundle. She listed the remaining pieces of the bundle on eBay for $49.99, and just today it sold! So, basically, it cost her a few dollars for everything she kept.

You really can afford homeschooling with little money if you take the time to research it. I highly recommend using all the links in the posts above if you are looking for affordable HS tools. Good luck!
"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."

- George Bernard Shaw

riccalo
User

Postby riccalo » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 am

dawnr1101
User

Postby dawnr1101 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:38 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:25 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “Suggest a Topic”