community service

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kenley
User

community service

Postby kenley » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:26 pm

Dear homeschoolers,

Allow me to introduce my self. My name is Kenley Leslie. I am the father of two young adults who were homeschooled by my wife. My wife and I are now living in southern Mississippi working with an relief organization. Our focus is in the restoration of the lives and homes of people effected by the devastation of hurricane Katrina.
In December there were a couple homeschooling families that came to the site where we work. Winter time is often a dry period for volunteers. I would like to alert you and those who are associated with your homeschooling organization that there is a marvelous opportunity for community service here on the Mississippi coast.
Community service is a great way to help teenagers to realize that others need help and that they can help. Due to the nature of the work I would recommend that those over the age of 14 be encouraged to be a part of the work of restoration here.
There is a great deal of work to be done to get people back into homes and to put their lives back together. Homeschoolers are freer to travel since they are not tied to a schedule outside the home. When we homeschooled we did road trips that fit our schedule and not someone else's.
There are plenty of civic and religious organizations doing restoration work. They can be contacted through religious denominations(Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopalian, Catholic, and Baptist,etc.), cities(Waveland, Bay St Louis, Pass Christian, Gulfport etc) and counties(Hancock, etc) along the Gulf coast. I would like to see all the various volunteer facilities full all the time.
I am purposely not giving out the name of the organization that I am working with because the work is bigger than one organization. The restoration will be accomplished by many groups of people working to get the Gulf coast back together. If you want the web site of the church that I work with please send an email to me at kenley.leslie@gmail.com.
Thank you,
Kenley Leslie
kenley.leslie@gmail.com

Return to “Suggest a Topic”