Thawing Food Tips

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Regina Hogsten

Thawing Food Tips

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:06 pm

I hate it when I realize that it's two o'clock and the food I planned or thought about planning is still frozen. Sometimes, I can thaw out in microwave, but I really am not crazy about doing that. I find that if the frozen portions are small, they won't take too long to thaw. For example: freeze individual chicken pieces or large fish cut into serving sizes and either freeze on cookie sheet and then bag them, or just wrap or bag individually. Same goes for pork chops, meatballs, sausages, etc. I buy ground beef in bulk, then cut through opened package into about one pound squares. Wrap or freeze each square, bag, and label.
When I only have 2 hours or so to thaw, I put in large bowl cover with cool water and change often (cause the water becomes too cold.)
If you don't get too distracted, it is even better to do this in the morning. By lunch time you might be able to prepare dinner early (like a casserole or marinate meat) and cook the meal when time.
Regina

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:14 pm

Great suggestions. I'm doing good to divide beef into the 2-3 portions planned for that weeks meals, much less chicken or pork chops. I'm exhausted after the trip to the grocery stores.

I sometimes pull out meat in the early morning, soak it in cool water, then forget to ever change the water! I hate those days. What's for dinner? I don't know. You tell me.

I get these great ideas that I'm gonna prepare meatloaf or some casserole the night before. It rarely happens for me. Is there any hope for me?!

In my defense, I haven't starved any of my family...yet. :D

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 pm

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:26 pm

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:23 pm

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”