6 Small Meals

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Regina Hogsten

6 Small Meals

Postby Regina Hogsten » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:46 pm

Try eating 5 or 6 small meals a day. Remember portion control. Start small. You won't starve when you consider eating again in 2 hours. This type of eating schedule will keep the metabolism burning all day. You won't feel bloated from trying to eat all the food groups in one meal.

Eat 2 breakfasts. For example: eat a 1/2 protein, whole grain, fat, and dairy. Set the stove timer for 2 hours. Then eat fruit, 1/2 protein.
Try to add 1 vegetable to the breakfast: pumpkin mixed in yogurt with pumpkin pie spices, chopped fresh spinach in scrambled eggs, celery with nut butter, sliced tomatoes....

Lunch: Fix small portions from the food groups for lunch then eat veg and protein in 2 hours or fix a lunch plate and put away 1/2 for later. Try to eat 2 servings of vegetables with lunch.

Dinner: portion control. Try to eat 2 servings of veggies with dinner.
If hungry after dinner, eat light. (stay away from sugar and starch.)

Eat until you are no longer hungry, not until you feel stuffed.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:31 pm

I hope you don't mind another perspective on the topic. While I agree about food grouping to a certain extend (although I lean more towards eating according to one's blood type), the concept of eating five or six meals a day really only works great IF you are highly active or are diabetic/hypoglycemic. It is a rather bad idea if you are not, in my opinion. My husband was a bodybuilding trainer and competitor. It was common for him to eat six meals a day due to his activity levels and building/maintaining muscle mass.

I have researched alternative health methods for over 20 years, I am my articles have been published for over 10 years, and I have about heard and seen it all over those years from the latest research and fads to the ideas from the early 1900's. I believe from my research that most adults would do better to eat only two meals a day or fast one or two days a week. Studies with animals suggest that this kind of fasting can actually prolong life and maintain better health overall.

The problem with eating so often every day is that the body does not get to rest and detoxify. Think about it! Nearly every organ in the mid to lower torso has something to do with the processing of food and the elimination of waste from food. Eating that often, even light meals, is going to make those organs work twice as much.

Eating is really an exercise in self discipline. Some people discipline themselves, but most just don't. Fasting helps one to learn self discipline in regards to eating and it also has benefits in other areas of your life. Fasting resets the metabolism, mostly because the body has had a change to throw off the toxins that blog down metabolic processes. Another benefit to fasting is that if you learn the discipline of it, you will lose weight and maintain a healthier weight as well.

I acknowledge that fasting completely without food is not medically feasible for some people, for them a juice fast may work. If one begins a fasting discipline oneself while one is healthy, many illnesses can be avoided. Most of the people in my family had Diabetes Type 2 by my age and had symptoms of hypoglycemia when they were young adults. I also had some hypoglycemic problems when I was younger, but I am convinced that fasting and eating mostly organic foods (less toxins) has cured me. I may completely avoid my family legacy or at least put it off for many years yet.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:15 am

Eating half as much 6 times per day rather than the regular full amount 3 times per day keeps your metabolism running full throttle, which is good if you want to burn weight. It also means that your body has smaller amounts of food to work with during mealtimes, which means it's less likely to get overloaded (temporary elevated heart rate, higher blood pressure, etc.) I fail to see the problem? Your body is still going to get a rest while you sleep.

Regarding flushing toxins, that should just be a matter of plenty of liquids and a proper diet. Contrary to what some people think, fruit is not covered in dangerous amounts of pesticides, and mass-produced meat is actually less germ-ridden than "free-range" meat (though the you definitely still want to cook it...) On a limited budget, it's probably better to eat a wider variety of cheaper food, rather than a more limited variety of expensive "organic" food.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:14 am

Interesting opinion, Theodore.... I just have a few questions. Have you ever done any research on how fasts will reset the metabolism afterward? How the digestive processes are more efficient and, since the body has had time to strengthen the walls of the digestive tract, may even better protect us from some absorbing some chemicals into the entire body? Are you familiar with terms like body burden or chemical body load?

Most doctors will point out how the metabolism decreases during a fast, which is obvious, but they assume the body will store more afterwards and neglect to look at the real results after a disciplined fast when one comes off of it gently.

If you really want to a higher metabolism, the best way to get it is to exercise, a rigorous walk will do, for about 20 minutes in the morning and your metabolism will be increased for nearly half a day. Exercise for another 20 minutes in the afternoon and you will be sure to cover the entire day. In comparison, eating 5 to 6 meals a day will only "exercise" your digestive organs.

I know many obese people who are hungry all the time and most of the time there are two causes. One, they are eating the wrong foods for their blood type. Two, they are very toxic, which is obvious when one sees the results after a few cleanses and/or fasts.

I am not convinced, by the results I have seen, that it is a good idea to keep the digestive tract running in high gear all day every day by eating more than 3 meals a day, unless one is an active athlete. Basically, this practice keeps you from feeling hungry, so should you end up in a situation when you are hungry, you will still have not learned to discipline yourself in dealing with the hunger. It also trains the body into needing a steady intake to maintain blood sugar levels to function without drawing on its own reserves; I have always believed you eat towards your illness, so if one wants to eat like a diabetic must... well, I think you get the picture. I come from two families that all have the big three,...well, actually four: cancer, diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. So far, I am beating the odds for my age.

Again, there are many opinions out there and this is just my own.

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:25 am

Here is a resource on this topic that some of you might be interested in checking out: http://www.schwarzbeinprinciple.com/pgs/home.html

I've only gotten to read part of the book so far but I know of others who are actively following this program and are doing really well on it.
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:34 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:51 am

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:54 pm

This is all very interesting. Concerning crohn's disease, maybe at some time, fasting would be beneficial. I'll look into it.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:12 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:26 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:35 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:04 pm