Adzuki Beans

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Regina Hogsten

Adzuki Beans

Postby Regina Hogsten » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:40 pm

Yesterday I saw a show on the BBC, You Are What You Eat. This particular segment was about an obese man. When he learned how to change what foods he consumed instead of how much he consumed then he dropped weight. Anyway, the doctor/nutritionist told him to eat Adzuki beans to absorb excess fluid. I researched these beans and found they are very high in fiber and nutrition. I'm going to see if the Asian food market sells them. I'd like to try a recipe. Anyone ever eat them?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Hmmm...never heard of them. May have to look into it. Thanks for the info.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:52 pm

Just cut out desserts, eat smaller helpings, and exercise. Everything I've read said that having plenty of fluids in your system is good, not bad, and removing water weight is probably not going to be much help long-term.

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:16 pm

If you had seen this guy, then you would know why she suggested the beans along with other foods. He never ate vegetables or fruits. He gorged on massive amounts of meat, white breads, desserts, and alcohol. Besides other health concerns his breath was so bad only the dog would stand near him. The doctor explained that because he ate such large quantities of meat and no fiberous foods, that the intestines were very slow to move and backed up by 3 weeks. The bad breath came from the rotten meat in the small intestines.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:49 am

Ok, so if you're massively obese and eat 9K calories per day, you need beans. Do they have to be special beans, or will regular beans work nearly as well? What about other fiber sources, such as spinach?

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:47 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:19 pm

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”