Spanish Study and Volunteer/Travel Opportunity in Honduras

The one place in the forum where you can freely advertise your local events, services, commercial products, etc. Let others see what you have to offer!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Mayatan School
User

Spanish Study and Volunteer/Travel Opportunity in Honduras

Postby Mayatan School » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:54 am

I'm writing on behalf of the Mayatan School in Copan Ruinas, Honduras. We are a K-12 bilingual school with over 20 years of experience offering education to Hondurans of all social and economic backgrounds. We recently launched a program that I believe may be of interest to home school students: the Learning Abroad at Mayatan program, through which international students can study in our classes, learn Spanish via private lessons, and engage in volunteer activities at our school, from a period of just one week to several months.

Last year, we had two high school students participate in the Learning Abroad program. They had a very positive experience and, based on the recommendation from one of their parents, we are seeking to expand the opportunity for home school students.

In addition to the benefit Mayatan receives from having students of different cultural backgrounds take part in classes, the Learning Abroad program is valuable in another way: all proceeds go toward supporting our scholarship fund. This fund allows Mayatan to provide financial support to well over 100 students from poor families who otherwise would not be able to attend; essentially, this this is what makes our school so unique in Central America.

More information, as well as exit interviews from our two past participants, can be found online on the Learning Abroad page of our website. I would be happy to provide additional information to anyone interested.

I also appreciate any thoughts regarding home schoolers' potential interest in the program!
Tommy Flint
Director of Development
Mayatan Bilingual School and Foundation
www.mayatanfoundation.org

Return to “Local Events, Services, Commercial Products”