Free Rice

The one place in the forum where you can freely advertise your local events, services, commercial products, etc. Let others see what you have to offer!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Munchie33
User

Free Rice

Postby Munchie33 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:18 am

I wasn't sure where this should go, and couldn't find it anywhere else in the forum, so here it is.

http://freerice.com/ is a fantastic website where you answer trivia questions under the subjects of vocabulary, grammar, literature, famous paintings, foreign languages (French, Spanish, German, Italian), world countries, world capitals, world flags, arithmetic, maths, and chemistry. Each question is multiple choice and has difficulty levels 1-10, for example, from vocabulary level 1:

pond means:
Forest, small lake, dried grape, or queen?

So on it's own this site is a good way to practice trivia under the subjects mentioned.

What is most noteworthy, however, is that every time you answer a question correctly, 10 grains of rice are donated to the World Food Programme (sponsored through ads which appear each time you answer a question). It's a truly wonderful way to motivate learning for anyone. The questions, at the right level, are not too hard, and it is one of the easiest ways a child at home with internet access can help make a difference to someone suffering from hunger.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if people were aware of this site, but I think it's a great way for children (or anyone, really) to practice what they know, learn new things, and most importantly, use their knowledge to help someone starving get food.

TheAssistant
User

Postby TheAssistant » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:03 pm

I love Free Rice! I actually featured it on my blog. :)
e-Expeditions.com: Bringing the hidden treasures of the internet to light.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:47 am

From a monetary perspective, there are roughly 29,000 grains of rice per bag (or somewhat less if it's brown rice), and the price of a 50-pound bulk bag of rice is around $75-$80. This works out to 18125 grains per dollar. So if you answer 100 questions for 1000 grains, you're donating about 5.5 cents. I wouldn't worry about the rice too much - the site succeeds or fails bases solely on the quality of its content.

// I do donate directly to the local food bank.

Return to “Local Events, Services, Commercial Products”