Pro-life vs Pro-choice

Anything having to do with religion or religious debate goes here.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:36 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:56 pm

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:12 am

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:19 am

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:30 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:38 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:00 am

Ceili
User

Postby Ceili » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:39 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 pm

- M. Montessori

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:12 am

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:37 am

Lily,

There are two types of parasites. External parasites and internal. A tick is a parasite that requires a host. A tape worm is a parasite that operates internally. Is this irrational? If so, please tell me and how. Yet, according to science, I am right about parasites. A baby one day old could be, according to your ideas, be considered an external parasite like a tick. The problem with your rational, as well, is that a parasite is often considered a foriegn species unlike the host species. Thus, a tapeworm is another species. A human is not a different species. This baby has the DNA that is unique but is the same species. In all scientific measurements, this is not even a parasite, but a human with human DNA. As a result, it is neither a parasite nor a part of the mother's body. This is a human life.

You still will not define the exact point of life that should be protected. Why? Are you afraid to? It seems you are pointing to after birth... but you are not clear in your appraisal. I think the reason why is because whatever stand you take is philosophically impossible to argue and maintain consistency.

Yet, the issue is simple. So, I ask you the question, when can we stop calling the baby a parasite and stop killing it. Some ethicists on colleges use your argument to say that a child under 6 months old should be killed. Where do you draw the line?

BTW, I think most mothers if you told them your child was a parasite, would be offended. This is a baby... from conception. Prove it otherwise. I notice you have yet to do so, just calling it a parasite does not mitigate the facts, this is a human life with unique DNA who feels pain, sucks its thumb, hiccups, jumps, and only needs a safe place to develop. It is a child. You are essentially saying that the value of human life is totally measured on how independent the child is. All life is precious, even if you believe it is trash.

Why do you believe that a parasitic state means you are allowed to be destroyed? Do you have any scientific evidence to show a child is anything less than a human life? Or, would you agree, that you are essentially saying that some human life it is okay to murder?

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:20 am

Addendum,

I wanted to add a couple of things on the parasite issue. First, I think all scientists throughout history have recognized that the parasitic is:

1. Often to the detriment of the host.
2. Often not sought nor desired by the host
3. Is from a foreign species in which the parasite wishes their life is as a parasite.
4. The species that is a parasite is one by its very nature and never "outgrows" this.

Scientists actually have another name for what we are discussing that they say is unique from parasites. The scientific word that you may or may not have heard is called pregnancy. This actually is of benefit. The host actually had to engage in a certain act in order to achieve this state--the vast majority of the time they enjoyed the act and many times with the express purpose of achieving the state of pregnancy. Except recently, this was a desired state. Eventually, the host will "give birth" and have the child who will never ever desire to be in that state again. The organism that is birthed, is not a parasite by nature, in other words it does stop receiving nutrients from the host (usually after College).

I have never seen the host of a parasite cry because they lost the parasite pre-maturely. I have never seen a host of a parasite talk to friends saying how they wished they could get a tape worm. I have never seen a host talk glowingly about how they feel the tapeworm growing inside of them and show off ultra-sound pictures of the little rascal. This is a baby.

Accordingly, my position is consistent. This is not a parasite, no scientist would say this baby is one. My position is the following:

1. This baby in the womb is scientifically a living human with distinct and scientifically verifiable qualities which confirm this fact. This is not, by definition a parasite or something other than a human with life and dignity.
2. All innocent human life should be protected from death.
3. Therefore, a baby in the womb should be protected from death.

That is a logical sequence. You have not refuted one of those three statements. You wish to degrade a baby by calling it a parasite... There is no scientific evidence to support such. This is a baby... who hiccups, jumps, sucks his thumb, and has all the scientific characteristics of a human life in a special event that scientifically we call "pregnancy". If you disagree with any of my 3 points, I will be glad to defend it. Yet, you have failed to even attack these ideas.... you have just resorted to calling a baby a parasite. Please, the next time you go to your OB and see a room full of mothers... go around and tell them they just have a parasite in their belly... not a baby.

You wish to degrade pregnancy to a tape worm, life as a bunch of cells, and uplift choice to the extent of murder.

Yes, if one has had an abortion, there is forgiveness. Yet, let's not degrade one of the most precious things God has given us... the gift of bringing life into this world.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:04 am

- M. Montessori

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:35 pm

Hmm. So if someone else decides it's ok to kill their aged relatives, that's fine because it's part of their belief system? What about handicapped children? What about black people? Etc. The only way abortion based on individual decision can be morally ok is if you assume that babies don't count - in which case you're already imposing your point of view. Let's face it, the two viewpoints are mutually exclusive, and it's impossible to be open-minded enough to include both.

The classic example of open-mindedness is a professor who says that all viewpoints are equally valid, then complains when a thief steals his wallet. Wouldn't forcing the thief to give back the wallet be imposing another's viewpoint on him, to his detriment?

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:43 pm

Lily,

So a point of "viability" is the point in which you define when abortions should stop. I did read your entire post, I am sorry you are not going to take the time to read my own. In summary, parasite issue is degrading and wrong and that my point is the following:

1. This baby in the womb is scientifically a living human with distinct and scientifically verifiable qualities which confirm this fact. This is not, by definition a parasite or something other than a human with life and dignity.
2. All innocent human life should be protected from death.
3. Therefore, a baby in the womb should be protected from death.

Therefore, I believe you are saying one of the following:

1. The baby in the womb is either not human.
2. That some innocent human life should not be protected from death (murder).

Thus, I am trying to find a place for life. Yet, in your most recent statement you said essentially #1 does not matter. Why? You said it does not matter when you define life.

Therefore, by your own admission you disagree with this phrase, "All innocent human life should be protected from death".

That is the only rational conclusion to your last post. Therefore, you hold the same belief as Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, etc... I would be glad to argue for my viewpoint "that all innocent human life should be protected from murder."

You have offered no basis for your belief except that you believe it should be a choice (which, by definition, this is circular reasoning. You have not tried to show the logical sequence of that rational, unlike me in which I point out three points).

That is it in a nutshell. You do not believe all innocent human life should be protected from death (murder) and I do.

Return to “Religious Discussion / Topics”