Banned Books Week

Anything having to do with religion or religious debate goes here.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:06 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

momagator
User

Postby momagator » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:31 pm

My purpose is not to censor or ban any book or author. My concern comes into play over my own personal responsibility. If I knownly give someone something that I know may harm them - even if they could go and pick it up around the next corner themselves - am I not responsible for any harm done to them by my careless actions? I feel that I am. I also feel that God will hold me accountable for my actions as well.

Anyway, its getting really late and I better just say "thanks for all your feedback" and call it a night before I start babbling and misspelling every second word!

Oh, and a big thank you to seekingmylord for encouraging me to pray about this some more.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:48 am

Lily, she is exercising her own free will over her own property. In exploring your opinion on the matter, would she not already be guilty just by hiding them away in her own home when she kept the books for her own enjoyment. So, just placing a book in one's own library causes one to be guilty of "hiding it away" from the general public, right?

I mean, the location of the books have not yet changed, only her perspective on them, so she now is purposely hiding them away and before she was... what? Purposely keeping them to herself? Purposely keeping them hidden away from others? :roll: How dare we keep books in our own homes because we are purposely keeping them from other people--determining what the other people can and cannot read by doing so!

The day we are forced to "share" our property, because to do otherwise would violate someone's free will to want/obtain our property, is the day our Bill of Rights is ripped to shreds and all things become property of the state!

=^..^=

Momagator, you are welcome. When you seek the Lord's heart on the matters, your perspective changes. Obviously, you have already experienced this as your desire for these books have changed because of your love for the Lord. I often lay my fleece before the Lord as Gideon and wait (the hardest part) for an answer from Him on matters of uncertainty. May the Lord bless you with the answer as you seek to please Him.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:18 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:52 pm

Lily, these are her own books! I don't know how else to say this, but as her property, she has the right to do with them as she wishes for whatever reason she wishes. I seriously doubt she was stockpiling them from what she shared with us. And, if she feels that the Lord is leading her to destroy them, then who are we to question that? People tend to overlook that free will gives us the freedom to seek and follow His will, even when it is against approval by the world.

I have got to say, Lily, after making a case against shaming children and showing respect towards others, what have you done other than trying to shame this woman with your accusations just to pressure her to do what you think she should do? If this is an example of how the no-spanking method works... I think it takes a more devious, less straightforward approach that I find rather unappealing.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:04 pm

- M. Montessori

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:55 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:15 pm

- M. Montessori

momagator
User

Postby momagator » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:58 pm

Lil wrote: that is different than keeping it because you think YOU are the only one who is intelligent enough to understand and continue a faith in God after reading.

Lil, I did not say this or even imply it. You are wrong in your assumptions of my motives, my thought process and my situation. I really don't have anything to add beyond that because ultimately I need to follow my heart regardless of what others say (or assume) and because seekingmylord has already defended me so beautifully! :D

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:22 am

Lily, it is one thing to be passionate about a subject and discuss it in generalities. It is quite another to accuse a particular person of censorship as you have repeated done. Do you not see the difference? Did you speak to the Lord once before you wrote these things? Did He tell you to accuse her in this manner? Did He not show you beyond the words she wrote to how in her heart she wishes to please Him?

What are a 1,000,000 books compared to the heart of one person in the eyes of the Lord?

It concerns me, Lily, deeply concerns me, that either you honestly do not recognize all the things you wrote in context directed at Momagator as accusative and offensive or you now choose to feign ignorance. Regardless, I will continue to pray for you.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:21 am

- M. Montessori

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:28 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:58 am

momagator
User

Postby momagator » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:22 am

Return to “Religious Discussion / Topics”