Reading

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

tash
User

Reading

Postby tash » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:07 pm

my almost 4yo would really like to learn to read. She has a great oral vocabulary and can pronounce most things clearly. She would have me read books to her 24 hours a day if I would. But when I can't she "reads" to her stuffed animals, her baby brother, the dog, anyone.

We have some cards I made with simple words like "table", "chair", "bike", "cup", etc that I helped her with and then she got to tape them to the object in the house. She seems to have trouble sounding things out and then recognizing that as a word. like duh-or isn't the same as a door to her. I don't know if I am doing something wrong or if she needs a different system.

can anyone recommend something that might work for her?

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:25 pm

My first two sons had great success with ABeka Phonics.

tash
User

Postby tash » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:05 pm

can you explain more about what you and your sons liked about it? I read somewhere else that it can be tedious and boring. I have add and boring just doesn't work. I also suspect that my daughter might have it too and I don't want her to think that all reading is boring, she enjoys it now and I would like her to keep enjoying reading.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:49 am

I wouldn't agree that it is tedious and boring. The preparation on my part became tedious at times (and is my number one complaint and reason I stopped using it). Lots of drawing and cutting out, etc. But, for the student, I think it was very beneficial. My lads seemed to really enjoy it, largely due to the games that were incorporated. Also, there is a lot of color on flashcards and workpages. When I was teaching my 5yo, my 3yo "accidentally" learned to read just being there. HTH :)

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:13 pm

I think what you are doing is great. If you want more "booky" stuff, we used BOB books as did my sister with her daughter.
One thing that I think was important when kids who really want to learn to read is stopping (the lesson) before they want to. Does that make sense?
All our kids always wanted to do more, and that's tempting to do because they are "on a roll." We always stopped a little short so next time, they weren't burnt out.
Jill

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”