Early Academics

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kgianforti
User

Early Academics

Postby kgianforti » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:52 pm

I would like to discuss early academics for preschoolers. I've seen many folks for and against formal teaching of children under the age of 3 and 4.

Personally, I feel it's up to the parents to observe and recognize the pace of the child. In our case, I am formally home schooling my dd since she was 2.5 (we began this past January). I noticed the need to expand on the informal teaching when, one day, she knew practically everything on the flashcards we were using. She knew the letters, numbers and big/small. This is when I started to research curriculum and started setting up her classroom.

During the past two months, she is definitely thriving. She enjoys seat work as much as she enjoys projects. Several times I ran out of worksheets to do because she asks for more after we are done with the lessons. She has even cried when I had to end school because the baby started crying!!

This past week, she started learning German. Once again, I noticed that she was properly using Spanish phrases and counting to 10 in Spanish from watching Dora the Explorer! She asks to watch her German videos even when we are officially done watching them for school.

So the point of this is, I think if your child shows interest, then pursue it. I'm not pushing her, I go at her pace and do new things when I notice that there's something she would like to explore. Some children aren't ready and some are, it's up to the parent to recognize this. As long as your not pushing an unwilling child, I see nothing wrong with early academics.

Miss_Kristy
User

Postby Miss_Kristy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:38 pm

ontheprairie
User

Postby ontheprairie » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:22 pm

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:34 pm

I don't see any reason to hold back a child who is interested in learning more. I think what is important is to follow a child's lead.

Some children will want to go, go, go for a few years and then slow down. We need to be willing to slow down (or back off completely) when they want/need us, too. Some children won't be ready to start formal learning until later. That's okay, too. Some children express interest in certain subjects and will be capable of doing certain types of work, but won't want to go full speed ahead with it.

I think it's important that we evaluate our motives in how/when we school our children. Are we doing what's in their best interest, or are we doing it to show off, prove something to others, make ourselves feel good, etc.?

We also have to consider whether or not the time spent doing worksheets, watching educational videos and other types of activities would be better spent chasing butterflies or running around the park. Free play and imaginative play are very important, but are often overlooked nowadays.

Early education will be handled differently by every family, and I think that's fine as long as the child's best interest is being served.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:04 pm

Well said, Jazzy! :D

kgianforti
User

Postby kgianforti » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:24 pm

Seems like a lot of people agree that early education is fine. I was just wondering because I've read posts were people are totally against introducing curriculum to young children.

Some things to Jazzy -

I like your point on what our motivations are. I personally want to do the best for my child and provide all the opportunities for her to explore her interests. I think home schooling is also the best option to do this with. I am thankful that we are a home schooling family!

I agree with your point on free play and imaginative play. Just to clarify my 1st post, I was talking about doing a formal education in addition to free/ imaginative play. To me, those should be incorporated into a child's life even if you aren't educating them formally.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:28 am

I am one of those who doesn't do formal education until 1st grade. However, this is a personal choice and I think that every parent needs to make that decision for themselves. If someone asks I will always recommend waiting until at least 1st grade though.

This being said that doesn't mean that I don't teach my kids before 1st grade. My youngest is 1 and can identify the letter "A" and "B". We have magnet letters on the frig that he plays with while I cook dinner and when he does I always have him find A and B. He knows where his nose, ears, eyes, and mouth are. He can get the color balls we ask for out of his ball pit. We teach everyday, just not in a formal, sit down, here are your books kind of way. We teach, until 1st grade, through play, fun, going outside, videos, or reading a book to them that they have picked out.

There is sooooooooo much more to learning than getting a book and sitting down for "school lessons" and just the opposite of what the original post was talking about I see a lot of people pushing for early learning and getting way to serious about school when their kids are just 1 or 2. I think people need to slow down and take time to smell the roses. Kids are only kids once then they grow up and move out. So enjoy them while they are young and don't always take life so seriously.

But that is just my opinion.

bookletgeo
User

Postby bookletgeo » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:56 pm

Stay-At-Home Mom with a passion for learning and exploring. Check out my blogs:
http://tonyaroot.blogspot.com
http://joescitygirl.blogspot.com

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”