Reading lists necessary?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

gellegbs
User

Reading lists necessary?

Postby gellegbs » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:11 pm

Should I just read any book or should there be certain books I must read to my 4 year old, have my 7 & 8 year old to read? I don't want to teach my kids stuff that contradicts the Bible, by reading books like that to them (my 8 year old loves Dinosaurs). Or am I being too protective?

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:38 pm

I think any book is fine. About an "Index*" style of list, I don't think that's okay, either. I mean, talk about your beliefs and why the book is/isn't true, but hiding information leads to discontent and an unwillingness to believe. You have to go in with an open heart and be forthcoming.

*The Index is the banned book list for Catholics. It's not very popular anymore but was up through the middle of the century.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

mamaholly
User

Postby mamaholly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:55 pm

Mom to John (8yo) and Hanna (19mo)

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:57 pm

Jill
User

Postby Jill » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:19 am

Jill

mark_egp
User

Postby mark_egp » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:18 am

There are many great suggestions from Sonlight, Well Trained Mind, etc. for this age. Check out their sites. I have combined about a dozen such lists into a single website you can search by age, etc, that may help you as well. See the link in my signature.
Mark - http://www.everygoodpath.net/ Homeschool ideas
http://www.everygoodbook.com/ Classic Book lists easy to search/sort for history, literature, and reading lesson plans

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”