Tips for Kindergarten and Homeschooling Teacher

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

SkillaDo
User

Tips for Kindergarten and Homeschooling Teacher

Postby SkillaDo » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:11 am

Enjoy and play with them while teaching. Never make them feel like you are a teacher and they must listen to you, always. Be friendly, get mixed up with their favorite activities. If possible, engage them with computers and help them understand and enjoy e-learning teaching programs. Start a healthy competition and encourage kids to do better. These are the best possible things I can suggest to you besides following what other members advised here. Good Luck :)

Momma24
User

Homeschooling Preschoolers...

Postby Momma24 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:08 pm

I have several children, and each of them have had different needs as preschoolers. I think the best thing that we can do is allow each child to be different. If they are ready for learning at age 4, then do it... But if they need more time, give it to them.
Homeschooling four
with the help of Mom SCHOOL
and staying healthy with Mom FITNESS!

SkillaDo
User

Postby SkillaDo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:47 am

Thats perfect advice, Momma :) What is your take on introducing e-learning tools, computers, phonics etc. for your child’s basic learning?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:03 am

Young children should not be using the computer, period. Computers are only a small step up from TV in terms of damaging their attention span. They should be playing with building blocks, looking at picture books (if they can't read yet), doing arts and crafts, playing games, etc. They can maybe be introduced to computers in a limited manner after they can read and do basic math.

SkillaDo
User

Postby SkillaDo » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Teach Your Child to Read when Homeschooling with SkillaDo & EasyPhonicsâ„¢

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:50 am

SkillaDo
User

Postby SkillaDo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:28 am

It’s true- human interaction, real life activities cannot be replaced with computer activities. My point of view is different! As a teacher, you try lots of things to actually teach the child, but many times your student doesn’t love it. He/she needs some fun while learning and needs to love what she/he is doing, most importantly. Here comes the role of technology... as i said “a child can learn better and faster in a fun, interactive learning environment. Having fun while learning improves their ability to learnâ€

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:33 am

From the first PDF:

[color=indigo][i]- Is it developmentally appropriate—is it consistent with how a child develops and learns, and with the child’s current developmental stage?
- Will the activity benefit the child?

For very young children the answers to these questions are usually “no.â€

amymom
User

Postby amymom » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:38 pm

Computer learning is fun for kids, but it should be a small part of their overall learning, not the main source of learning, especially for young children. There should be more tactile learning. Often people use computer programs because they are unsure of HOW to teach kids, and the computer program has been developed by "leading educators" ;). Teaching is easier than you think, there are so many resources available to you. I have a blog preschoolmommy.blogspot.com where I post my complete lesson plans. I also have games for letter learning on there. Developmentally, young children should be spending time exploring with the most important person in their little lives, you!
Amy

SkillaDo
User

Postby SkillaDo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:42 am

I agree with you amymom. It should be a small part of their entire learning process. Kids really enjoys every bit of it. 1-2 hours in more than enough for the day. That won’t harm them in any way!

Tashathomson
User

Postby Tashathomson » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:53 am

littlemillennium
User

Postby littlemillennium » Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:11 am

Harret56
User

Postby Harret56 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 am

hommeschooldad
User