Fun Spanish songs?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Anna
User

Fun Spanish songs?

Postby Anna » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:55 pm

Hello,
Does anyone know of some CD with Spanish songs? The goal is to introduce a preschooler to spanish in a fun way. I took a few CDs from the library, most of them had pretty difficult songs where it's hard to catch words if the spanish level is beginner.
So, I guess bilingual songs would be nice, where they sing a word in English and spanish. Or, easy songs similar to ABC song in English only in Spanish.

Any suggestions are welcome
Thanks,
Anna

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:40 am

There's a book/cd combo pack out called Teach Me _____! It uses simple children's songs translated into the language you desire to introduce children to the language.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:35 am

Anna,

It's not a CD, however I recommend "The Complete Book of Spanish Preschool" by School Specialty Publishing. There's fun, colorful workbook pages along with lots of songs & chants in the back that you sing to the tune of well known songs. This workbook also continues for different grade levels as your child progresses.

If you do not already know how to pronounce Spanish words to help teach your DC, then purchase an inexpensive adult book with a good pronunciation guide. For example, "Spanish in 10 Minutes a Day" is a good choice. You don't need to go through the entire book, just learn how to pronounce Spanish words. Luckily, Spanish words are phonetically stable, unlike English.

Also, "Learn in Your Car Spanish" is a cute story about a boy going to a fiesta with his friend from Mexico who teaches him Spanish on the way to the party. If your DC is really young, you might try a CD series called something like "Spanish Lullabies for Babies".

If your DC is a little older, close to school age, you might invest in the Bob Jones University Spanish Kit A. It's about 3 years worth of flash cards, songs, Bible verses, workbooks, stories, etc. designed for elementary children. We presently use Kit B and love it. It's not cheap so perhaps you could find a used one somewhere.

My husband is a language freak so we've already tried just about everything. Be careful, as there is a ton of stuff out there which is worthless for learning Spanish in my opinion. An example would be the Muzzy series, (unless they already have some exposure to the language) and a group of music CDs put out by Beth somebody. Sorry I can't remember her last name and all the CDs are long ago in the trash.

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you find that's good.

(p.s. Please excuse my inability to underline titles as the editor seems to underline my whole post. It couldn't possibly be user error. :wink: )

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:56 am

We love two Spanish CD's by Jose Luis Orozco - Diez Deditos and De Colores. My kids have had lots of fun with those.

Carletta

Anna
User

Postby Anna » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Minniewannabe
User

Postby Minniewannabe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Anna
User

Postby Anna » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:45 am

Anna
User

Postby Anna » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:48 am

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:41 pm

I just wanted to add that we tried the Muzzy for Spanish, and it didn't go well. The children couldn't hear the Spanish clearly enough to pick up any of the words and thought it was, in their own words "cheesey".

I'm still looking for something that works for them. Preferably something not book based. I'm reading things to them all day long and I'd really like something that can be done without me having to read more. They get tired of sitting down listening to me read all day.
Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

Anna
User

Postby Anna » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:13 pm

littlemillennium
User

Postby littlemillennium » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:30 am

Blessings4all
User

Postby Blessings4all » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Many blessings,
Susan

www.HomeschoolWithLove.com - Homeschooling made easy for you & fun for the kids.

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”